Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   size of HST to use with 4 Patch (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/size-hst-use-4-patch-t277657.html)

joyplace 04-11-2016 01:37 PM

size of HST to use with 4 Patch

I have "many" 4-1/2" squares I want to use for 4 patch.........Then I want to use the triangles to complete the block. I saw this on the Gourmet Quilter. She used 5" square to cut her HST. Her 4 patch was not as big as my 4 patch. What size should I cut my HST??? Any help will be appreciated.

Joyplace

Tartan 04-11-2016 03:09 PM

D4P is all squares. Did she set them on point with triangles in between?

Geri B 04-11-2016 03:40 PM

Are you sure you are talking D4P.....no triangles....

joyplace 04-11-2016 07:19 PM

Gourmet Quilter u tube floating 4 patch quilt pattern. Google this and the following will be the next screen.
How to use delicious leftovers to make a Floating 4-patch block - Quilting Tips & Techniques 177.
I am sorry I did not have the info correct in my first posting. This my first time using some of the screens. I am a fan of the G/Quilter and some of her tutorials I can use, but this one I could not get the correct measurements for the HST.
I appreciate all the help.
Thanks
joyplace (Marie)

GourmetQuilter

GourmetQuilter

patricej 04-12-2016 12:26 AM

how big do you want your 4-patch block to be?

Maureen NJ 04-12-2016 02:37 AM

I went on Bonnie Hunter's site, quiltville, and she has a chart for setting and corner triangles. According to her for a finished 8" block, which is what your 4-patch would be, the corner triangles would be cut at 6 5/8". To make it FLOATING, I would try cutting at 7 1/4" or 7 1/2". Since the floating 4-patch is bigger, you want it proportioned correctly, IMO, so I would fool around with it. You could also cut your 4 1/2" squares in half and start with 2 1/4" squares, rather than the 2 1/2" squares. I think that would be nice too. Thanks for the link to the video. I liked her floating 4-patch. Easy and not too precise.

willferg 04-12-2016 07:23 AM

I could swear that I tried this once, and the two squares cut on the diagonals to make the four triangular corners should be the same size as the middle square (or four patch) in this case. I believe this gives you a quarter inch seam on the points, so if you want the middle square to float, you would cut bigger, as mentioned above. You could iron the squares on the diagonal and use the pressing line to match up to the middle of the four patch.

Think I'll have to play with this block again...

ManiacQuilter2 04-13-2016 05:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is just a simple 4 patch set on point with four cut half square triangles. If you want you use your 4.5 cut squares, you will need to cut your triangles 6.5" but I prefer to oversize and then trim down. You will end up with an 11.25 block. This is always a problem when dealing with any diagonals. I don't remember my geometry from the late 60s.