Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Size for Nursing Home Lap Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/size-nursing-home-lap-quilts-t307535.html)

cindyb 10-20-2019 07:57 AM

Size for Nursing Home Lap Quilts

I have made a couple of smaller quilts, but as I look at them I think they are not big enough. What is the size you shoot for when making a quilt to be used for a nursing home?

goldsberry921 10-20-2019 08:06 AM

I think any size is good because it's made with love. I am sure they would be most appreciated because a little warmth goes a long way!

Tartan 10-20-2019 09:16 AM

It depends on their use. They might be just the right size for wheel chairs so they cover the lap but don’t get stuck in the wheels.

Schill93 10-20-2019 09:44 AM

Tartan is right. There are people in nursing homes that can't walk and require a wheel chair, so a smaller size is appropriate for that. Perhaps 36 x 46 at most. For lap quilts, I don't like anything less than 50 x 60 myself, but that is just my personal opinion. I tend to make my lap quilts on the larger size. Usually around 60 x 70. That's a nice "throw over" size for your bed or the couch.

QuiltE 10-20-2019 09:51 AM

Ditto re assorted sizes are of merit, with considerations as to the use, the size of the person and their overall health conditions.

Before making, I would recommend you to speak directly with the nursing home.
Many have "rules" as to the size, fabrics, battings, etc.
It would be too bad to make them with good intentions, to have them rejected for not meeting their needs.

Likewise if giving to other charitable groups.

juliasb 10-20-2019 10:46 AM

Before I retired I work for years in nursing homes. I was the social worker and many times I was the one distributing such quilts. Crib size and larger. Others are right some only need them as a cover when up in a wheel chair or just sitting with a lap quilt in their room. Others need something like a twin size for their beds. Others need a full size so that it doesn't end up on the floor when they turn over at night. No matter the size they are always appreciated. I would always run out. Another thing, many families choose to keep little quilts that are made for their loved one as a momento. Pleasant warm thoughts of a parent or other loved person that lived out their final days in the nursing home.

Theodora 10-20-2019 10:50 AM

One suggestion for use in wheelchairs: cut off the bottom corners to avoid catching in the wheels.

QuiltnNan 10-20-2019 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Theodora (Post 8315880)
One suggestion for use in wheelchairs: cut off the bottom corners to avoid catching in the wheels.

this is a good suggestion!

QuiltE 10-20-2019 11:16 AM

Another possibility ... a quilt/shawl to wear over the shoulders with ties/buttons/velcro to keep in place.
With or without holes to poke arms through.

Karamarie 10-21-2019 03:53 AM

I had asked about donating quilts to our local nursing home and was told that everything gets washed in hot water so this is something to think about if the quilts could withstand the hot water. Might be different where you live.