Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Size for XLong Twin Quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/size-xlong-twin-quilt-t265482.html)

Becky's Crafts 05-22-2015 05:34 AM

Size for XLong Twin Quilt?

I have been asked by a very dear friend to make her a quilt for her XLong Twin bed. Can anyone help me with a finished target size please? The pattern she wants is for a 42" x 54" wall hanging so I'll be enlarging it to fit, but don't want to lose her in the quilt when I'm finished!! LOL! I have a tendency to go big and I don't think it will work here! :shock: Thank you for any help!!

sewbizgirl 05-22-2015 05:40 AM

I saved a size chart for reference. It says twin XL is 39" x 80".

Buckeye Rose 05-22-2015 05:43 AM

Everyone has a different size in mind when they ask for a quilt. Your best bet would be to have her give you exact measurement of the required finished quilt. Mattresses are much thicker than they used to be and I don't care for dust ruffles, so I want a quilt for my bed to fall down past the bed frame. It is way better to take the time to measure than to make one too small.

ManiacQuilter2 05-22-2015 11:46 AM

Buckeye Rose is absolutely correct. go to her house and confer with her on the dimensions of the quilt she would like for you to make. You can always add another row of blcoks or change the widths of the borders to met the size of her bed.

bearisgray 05-22-2015 11:52 AM

Be sure to allow for "shrinkage" caused by quilting and/or washing.

Becky's Crafts 05-22-2015 02:53 PM

I can't go to her house to be sure it's measured properly. She is in Nova Scotia & I am in Florida. Just not feasible!! I will try again to ask her for measurements, but she's having family issues at the moment. If 39" x 80" is the mattress top, 12-1/2" of border all around should be sufficient, but I will try to get her to measure for me. I want to start cutting all the 2-1/2" squares I'm going to need! Thank you all for your help!!

toverly 05-23-2015 03:16 AM

Go to a mattress store and measure one would be an easy way to make certain, you had enough hang around the mattress. They are so thick right now, it takes a lot more quilt. If your wall hanging acts like a center panel, you could easily add borders to get the right dimensions.

Dollyo 05-23-2015 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Becky's Crafts (Post 7203708)
I can't go to her house to be sure it's measured properly. She is in Nova Scotia & I am in Florida. Just not feasible!! I will try again to ask her for measurements, but she's having family issues at the moment. If 39" x 80" is the mattress top, 12-1/2" of border all around should be sufficient, but I will try to get her to measure for me. I want to start cutting all the 2-1/2" squares I'm going to need! Thank you all for your help!!

12 1/2" may not be sufficient. It depends on the thickness of her mattress. Some are as deep as 17". Once you know how thick the mattress is, you can decide how large to make the quilt. It would be a shame to put all of that work into it and not have it fit. Figure at least 3" larger all around for shrinkage and covering the top of the box springs, when you are quilting. Quilting causes the quilt to draw up. I've had them shrink as much as 1 1/2" and I don't quilt that closely.

Buckeye Rose 05-23-2015 03:26 AM

Have her take a string and lay it across the mattress, falling on each side to the proper length....then measure the string....do it both ways (side to side and top to bottom)....by using a string, you get exactly the length needed....some mattresses are quite curvy on the sides and that can add necessary inches to length....my mattress has a 4" curve from the edge of the top to the flat part of the side.

tessagin 05-23-2015 04:44 AM

She may have family issues and I hope they get resolved soon but I would think she should be able to take a few minutes to measure. Just sketch on a paper a rectangle then get measurement from top of mattress to the floor. Width and length and she can send to you. Her measurements will be what she wants to cover.