Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   sizing a 9 patch to match snowball (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sizing-9-patch-match-snowball-t298037.html)

toogie 07-04-2018 07:58 AM

sizing a 9 patch to match snowball

Hello, I am brand new here so I hope I am posting in the right place. I need to know what size my squares of my 9 patch need to be, to match an unfinished 12 1/2 inch snowball block. I really wanted to do a smaller snowball but I am embroidering information design on it. I think the smallest I can cut the sb blk would be 10 or 101/2 so as not to cover my writing when I put the HST on the corners. I know it would be hard to figure sqs for 9 patch for the 10 1/2 size....so I need to figure for the 12 1/2 inch.

WANNABEE 07-04-2018 08:01 AM

4.5, I think.

soccertxi 07-04-2018 08:02 AM

finished size (12 inches) divided by 3 (small sq per side)= 4 inches (finished) + 1/2 inch (1/4 inch seam allowance for each side. = 4 1/2 inches . I would suggest doing one sample block to make sure your cut blocks and your seam allowance fit your snowball block...

Welcome to the Quilting Board!

dunster 07-04-2018 08:04 AM

You always start your calculations with the finished size, and then add your seam allowance to the patches. If you want a 9-patch that finishes at 12 inches (12.5" unfinished) each square needs to finish at 4 inches (12 divided by 3). If this is what you want, you would cut the squares at 4.5 inches.

Irishrose2 07-04-2018 09:13 AM

Don't forget to cut your fabric for the snowball corner so the seam meets the top seam in the 9 patch. I cut squares the same size as my 9 patch squares (4.5 for you) and draw a diagonal line on it. Sew on the line and cut off the excess. If I were working with that size square, I'd sew a second line 1/2" inside the first. When you cut between the lines, you'll have a bonus HST.

toogie 07-04-2018 11:43 AM

Thank all of you for responding. I would like my snowball really smaller, but I am assuming that the next smaller size would have to be 9 1/2 and that is too small. Am I correct to assume this?

Irishrose2 07-04-2018 11:49 AM

You can do any size you want. You just need to divide the finished size by 3, add 1/2" for seam allowances. We just prefer to work in half and quarter inches - at least I do.

cjsews 07-04-2018 12:37 PM

If you cut your squares for the 9P at 4 inches you will have a finished block of 10.5"

Jingle 07-04-2018 03:39 PM

Welcome to this board. Lots of knowledgeable people here.

I by the way am not one of them. I mostly just wing things and make it work.

klswift 07-06-2018 07:30 AM

A 9 patch is 3 across, so 12" finished divided by 3 is 4" finished equals cut 4 1/2" allowing for seams. This is how you would go about figuring it out. A suggestion for you when trying to figure out a new block. Draw it on paper, color and number the various pieces and then cut them out. Remember to add in your 1/4" seam allowances (even if it means laying another bigger piece underneath). This will not only let you see what each piece requires, it will assist you in how to lay them out and figure the needed yardage but it will give you a cheat sheet for when you are assembling it. As you get a bit more experience, you will not have to do this, but, it is still often helpful to make a practice block of a new and tricky pattern to find the problem areas. Save those practice or orphan blocks and later you can stick them on the front of tote bags as gifts.