Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sizzix (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sizzix-t59052.html)

Nettie 08-12-2010 06:11 AM

Has anyone seen one of the sizzix big shot pro mahicne? Apparently it is similar to accuquilt GO machine?
Would anyone recommend either or none?

Nettie

stefanib123 08-12-2010 06:18 AM

I have the Cuttlebug, which is like the Sizzix.

I like the Cuttlebug better, because you can use any dies with it, from any manufacturer.

They are pretty cheap, too. You can get one at Joanns for about $40. BUT, the size is only 4 inches wide by usually 6 inches. I never use it for quilting, because I have a Cricut.

They do have a Sizzix "Big Shot" that does bigger cuts. I'm not sure how big.

How much is the Accucut GO? These would be an option if its really expensive.

I would get a Cricut, though, before either of them. The Cricut cuts everything. Fabric, paper, stencil plastic, vinyl,etc. And you have the option with it to use a computer program to completely customize your cuts or not use a computer and use their cartridges.
The sizes can go up to 2 feet! And you can do them bigger with creativity! LOL!

You can get a Cricut Create right now at Walmart for around $100. Buy it and the software (around $60) and you are set to custom make any cut you can imagine!

Nettie 08-12-2010 07:08 AM

The cricut cuts Fabric???? Do you know if it will cut things like 2 1/2 inch strips?

If so I will defintely have to go check it out. I though it just did paper for photo stuff.

Nettie

stefanib123 08-12-2010 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Nettie
The cricut cuts Fabric???? Do you know if it will cut things like 2 1/2 inch strips?

If so I will defintely have to go check it out. I though it just did paper for photo stuff.

Nettie

It will cut ANY size, ANY shape.

There is a drawback to it cutting fabric, though. You are supposed to use something like "Heat N Bond" to make it cut it. I have seen people do it without it, though, but I've never tried it. I may try it later.

Its best for appliques, though. I was thinking of maybe doing a custom cut applique business with it. ANY image that you can get on a computer screen , can be cut with it. I mean ANY image.

It also cuts sticky back vinyl, like you see on cars and on car windows? I also do "wall words" with it.

Candace 08-12-2010 08:55 AM

If you're looking for accuracy in cutting fabric, this would NOT be the way to go. And I for sure wouldn't want strips or blocks cut with fusible on them. Though if you are just looking to do applique type blocks, it would work.

Nettie 08-12-2010 09:59 AM

Thanks Girls,

I don't think I want heat and bond on my quilts unless I am appliquing. I will keep looking.

Nettie

DFWTexasNative 08-12-2010 10:28 AM

I have the Accuquilt - pricey - but worth every penny. My cutting time is nothing (I actually look forward to this part now) and I get to create a whole lot sooner than before. Check around your LQS to see if they rent the GO out. I know one of ours does here.

ljptexas 08-12-2010 11:19 AM

Have U considered bonding freezer paper to the fabric? It would give the fab stability, then U can remove the freezer paper. I do this when I print labels on my printer.

Hope this will work.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

brenda21 08-12-2010 11:43 AM

I have two different size Sizzix machines that I use for scrapbooking...I have never tried fabric, but I'm thinking that it probably would not work.

CarolinePaj 08-12-2010 01:44 PM

Hi All,

Sizzix have joined with Westminster Fibres to create fabric cutting dies and they have made a machine (Big Shot Pro)that is just slightly larger than the Accuquilt. I looked into this machine before I purchased the Accuquilt and decided on the Accuquilt because .....

1) I already have a Sizzix big shot and a Cricut Expressions machine.

2. The Accuquilt folds up and the Sizzix doesn's and would take up rather a lot of room.

Hope this helps you make a decision.

Hugs