Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sizzix vs Accuquilt - My humble opinion (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sizzix-vs-accuquilt-my-humble-opinion-t294124.html)

quiltingcandy 01-17-2018 10:55 PM

I love my Go too. The dies are not cheap but they do have sales and I order them from Accuquilt when they have free shipping or when I intend to make the quilt and need the die. It is the same price no matter where you buy it and when I order it from Accuquilt they don't charge me the CA state tax.
My friend and I cut out a DWR quilt for a King size bed in about an hour. She was making it with the arches as one piece so that made it a bit faster but all those curves it would be a royal pain to use templates. And those little notches are very helpful.

OneBusyGranny 01-18-2018 04:47 AM

I have the Sizzix Big Shot(not the pro - and have had it for years, and was delighted when they came out with their dies.,and added quilting to their group. I purchased almost every one of the quilting dies,using my 40 % off at Hobby Lobby. They have discontinued many of the dies that I'm glad I have.
I cut 120 5.5 " squares in about 5 minutes. I also do some scrap booking ,too. so I get double duty with mine.The clear plates will cut many times, I've had mine about 14 years and have only had to replace once and I use it a lot.Yes, it does leave the markings, but doesn't effect the cutting.

Geri B 01-18-2018 05:55 AM

I have both a Sizzix and a GO....GO was first, then big shot (Sizzix) on sale when local hobby lobby discontinued in their inventory...picked up dies that I did not have w/GO. I use both, depending which dies I need....each has good/bad, but still better than rotary cutting...
BTW- to delineate die design from background, I use a silver sharpie....just run it along the blade and you have the outline. I also mark lines about 1/4" away from cut so I know where to place fabric piece.....I have even marked.some with cutting size .... Just for my own info...

MaggieLou 01-18-2018 06:37 AM

Thanks for the review. I've been thinking about getting one for some time.

caspharm 01-18-2018 07:31 AM

Personally, I found that the Sizzix dies don't seem to be as robust. I had bought some Sizzix dies because they were a shape I wanted and were less expensive. I accidentally overloaded them and bent the cutting surfaces. I have overloaded Accuquilt dies and usually I just can't cut because there is not enough room.

I do recommend visiting Ebony Love's website if you want more info (https://lovebugstudios.com/). She is an authority on the different dies and has written a book about the different dies.

Onebyone 01-18-2018 08:09 AM

I pre ordered the Go as soon as I saw it announced by Accucut. It's years old and still going strong. It's as important to me as my sewing machine. I have had a few dies that didn't cut all the way through but I have learned to go back and forth over them before the die discharges to get the clean cut. I seldom pick out the threads in a die until they stack up and easy to get out. I stock up mats when I find them on sale. I've never gotten a mat included with a die unless I ordered it separately. I have cut everything that can be cut on it but I can get another anytime so I don't mind trying out new things with it. I spray Static Guard on the mat and die and that stops the fabric from clinging. I have used the Sizzix and other models but like the Go the best. None of the home die cut machines are perfect.

mengler 01-18-2018 08:38 AM

Sewitsforsale is a yahoo group that is all people who sew unlike eBay they sell all kinds of sewing stuff and they aren’t liquidators. I’ve bought sewing machines and small accessories no problem. I bought my accuquilt from a quilter who was downsizing. Her daughter sold me the accuquilt and all the dies, some unopened, for a song.

SusieQOH 01-18-2018 10:13 AM

I bought a Go in September or October. So far I've only bought general dies like 2 inch squares, 2 inch strips but a few others like Lemoyne Star and Drunkard's Path.
That's good for me because I usually go overboard when I have a new toy.:)
I like the Go a lot!

Austinite 01-18-2018 11:03 AM

I have a Sizzix Big Shot Plus now and while it's brand new to me, I'm very happy with it, got a great deal on Amazon saved $70 over buying from Sizzix, I looked at Accuquilt but money is a big factor, I wanted something that was heavy and wouldn't move around on me and I had no problems finding Sizzix dies that I like, it took me about 5 min to put 20 on my Amazon wishlist (I need help :D) I also like many of the Accuquilt dies and I can use them on my machine, those are on my wishlist too! Time will tell, I'm a crazed newbie playing with my new toy, I wanted a Big Shot Pro but I don't have the space right now, hope to upgrade one of these days (I told my husband someday the entire living room will be all mine! :D) I think none of the die cutters are perfect, tools and machines are very personal. I've thought about a Baby Go for taking on trips... I'm just enjoying cutting shapes for kiddo I Spy quilts without dying!

wellphooey 01-18-2018 11:11 AM

Thanks everyone for your comments. I have wanted a cutter for a long time but couldn't justify it and didn't have a clue which one was the right one for me. Now I can go shopping!