Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Skipped stitches?? Help! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/skipped-stitches-help-t161282.html)

lovelyl 10-18-2011 04:57 AM

I am trying to do simple, straight line echo quilting on a charity quilt. My FW, which I use for everything is skipping stitches when I try this. I sew anything else, it sews fine. Tried my 328, it did the same thing????? On both machines, I re-threaded, put in new needle, no change. I have never used polyester batting before - could this be the cause? I only bought the batting because it was on sale. Any ideas or suggestions?
PS I am using a walking foot!

Sew happy 10-18-2011 05:03 AM

I had a similar problem and put in a new needle. It didn't help, so I removed the needle, put in another new one and made certain the needle was lined up correctly.It worked. I think sometimes even the new manufactured needles may have defects. Also, remove cover plate and use a brush to clean possible dust or thread. Puta drop of oil in the wheel that holds your bobbin.

Originally Posted by lovelyl
I am trying to do simple, straight line echo quilting on a charity quilt. My FW, which I use for everything is skipping stitches when I try this. I sew anything else, it sews fine. Tried my 328, it did the same thing????? On both machines, I re-threaded, put in new needle, no change. I have never used polyester batting before - could this be the cause? I only bought the batting because it was on sale. Any ideas or suggestions?

lovelyl 10-18-2011 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Sew happy
I had a similar problem and put in a new needle. It didn't help, so I removed the needle, put in another new one and made certain the needle was lined up correctly.It worked. I think sometimes even the new manufactured needles may have defects. Also, remove cover plate and use a brush to clean possible dust or thread. Puta drop of oil in the wheel that holds your bobbin.

Originally Posted by lovelyl

Thanks! Now that you mention it, it is time for my FW's oil and lube. I was just perplexed because it happened with two machines. I will clean and oil when I get home today and see if that helps.

shnnn 10-18-2011 05:16 AM

Are you using the same walking foot on both? Maybe another common link.

Jingle 10-18-2011 08:43 AM

Maybe you need a different size needle.

pennijanine 10-18-2011 11:20 AM

The same thing happened with my 301. I took off the slide plate and I swear, there was a carpet of lint!! Now, I am sure to clean it after every project!!

grammy Dwynn 10-18-2011 11:26 AM

First thing that popped into my little brain . . . LINT and clean. Second is the needle.

BKrenning 10-18-2011 03:00 PM

I have had skipped stitches from some fabrics--especially the white on white that feels slightly rubbery and I know I had a bad batting that was eating thread and burping out birdseed. I think the quality control person was sleeping that day at the factory.

vicki75 10-18-2011 04:06 PM

I always try a bigger needle when I get skipped stitches. That usually works for me.

lovelyl 10-18-2011 04:30 PM

Thanks so much for all your suggestions! Will work on it tomorrow!