Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Skipped stitches (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/skipped-stitches-t289999.html)

kat13 07-28-2017 06:47 PM

Skipped stitches

I've done everything I know to do; retread, clean bobbin area and removed plate behind that one and cleaned it out.
I changed the needle, retreaded again! I have tightened the tension but as I free motion quilt I am still getting skipped stitches! I am almost finished and pulling my hair out!! I have a Brother QC1000, have never had a problem until now. Any suggestions??

Jingle 07-28-2017 07:29 PM

All I can think of is - are you pulling the quilt too much? Maybe loosen the tension. Work on a practice piece until it straightens out. If all else fails, stop until morning. Someone else may know what is wrong.

francie yuhas 07-28-2017 07:58 PM

Use a jeans needle,have the same thread in the top and the bobbin.

quiltedsunshine 07-28-2017 08:07 PM

If you've tried everything, your timing could be off just a little. As a temporary fix, you can move the needle position to the left or right a bump or two. That will change the timing just a little until you can get it to the shop.

Of course, some of the more sophisticated machines may not let you do that. You may have to lie to it and tell it that you're doing a straight stitch with the standard presser foot. And you won't be able to use the straight stitch plate. And the needle won't be centered in the middle of your presser foot. But it might sew without skipping.

You'd know if the timing was off by sewing a regular zig-zag stitch on a scrap about 7" long. Sew the length at least 3 times. If it's skipping stitches, you know the timing is off.

cashs_mom 07-28-2017 08:08 PM

I agree with stop now and try again in the morning. If I have problems and it's after 9:00 pm, I pack it in. Often in the morning, I sit down and figure it out in a couple minutes.

petthefabric 07-28-2017 08:12 PM

Yesterday my machine decided it didn't want to play, at all. Tried a bunch of stuff. Then decided I'd play the game by it's rules, since it's been 3 yrs since service. I'll take in in Monday.

Peckish 07-28-2017 08:50 PM

Try one size larger needle.

QuiltnNan 07-29-2017 03:29 AM

hmmm, mine skips too. think i'll try a larger needle

rryder 07-29-2017 04:04 AM

Also, if you are using a floating foot instead of a hopping foot you may need to lower your foot slightly.

Rob

Barb in Louisiana 07-29-2017 04:27 AM

It could be your fabric. My friend and I had a puzzle one day. No matter what we did, neither of our sewing machines would sew some batiks that she had bought. We tried all types of settings, changed needles, tensions, bobbin threads and both machines, Babylock and Brother, would only sew a few stitches at a time. And, we weren't free motion quilting which is harder on the machines. A thought....I have an older Singer Golden Touch and Sew that will only free motion quilt if the quilt is taut in an embroidery hoop. My long arm won't stitch properly unless I have the quilt tension just right. Good luck! Please let us know what worked to fix your problem.