Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sliced side of finger with rotary cutter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sliced-side-finger-rotary-cutter-t176174.html)

SueSew 01-19-2012 08:01 AM

I would go to urgent care asap and get it properly cleaned and butterflied or whatever it is then they cant do stitches. Ugh horrible thing - so sorry - hope it heals quickly!

thevintageseamstress 01-19-2012 08:08 AM

I have done it twice already in the last month and a half... it blead like there was no tommorrow.. It healed up fine both times. Still a little sore on the last one but never an infection and I am diabetic. I wash my hands so much and wash dishes there is little room for infection. I just kept a bandaid on it till it was at the point it was kinda healing. I am buying either a guard for my ruler or one of those suction grippers, and maybe even a klutz gove but sure I would trust the glove, it does not look like it could stop a rotary blade to me but its supposed to. Good luck and I would not worry unless it kept on bleeding.

newbee3 01-19-2012 08:50 AM

the have glove for that so you don't cut yourself you should get one

gramajo 01-19-2012 08:52 AM

I used to make stained glass projects & was always cutting myself. Fingers bled a lot & take a long time to heal.

During the day, apply antibiotic cream & keep bandaged. Take the bandaid off at night & allow the air to get to it so it can dry. I found it healed a little quicker by doing it this way.

1000projects 01-19-2012 08:55 AM

I have done it too. Hope your finger is better soon!

mltquilt 01-19-2012 09:05 AM

Cut the pointer finger on my left hand almost a year ago. I went to the ER to make sure everything was okay. Due to it being a diagonal slice they could not stitch. They just put a pressure bandage on it. Hurt for awhile but healed up after a few weeks. I do have a nice little scar. You are doing all the things they told me to do after I went to the ER.

mltquilt

DawnFurlong 01-19-2012 09:16 AM

Thanks for the links BellaBoo. That Rule Steady looks really nice. Contemplating which safety device I want to employ. Really don't want to do this again.

Whigrose 01-19-2012 09:21 AM

Happened to me several years ago. I had literally just changed the blade in my cutter. Made my first pass along the ruler and cut myself. Seven stitches later and hardly a scar. Turns out - the ruler had a nick in it and caused my blade to jump.

So, lesson learned. I check my rulers as a habit now.

best,
d

fishhavengirl 01-19-2012 09:43 AM

Brings back painful memories. I ran it under cold water dried it well and applied calendula/hypericum and arnica mixture. Dressed it and applied pressure bandage. With that mixture it healed rather fast but I had to keep bandage on it in case I bumped it. Have a guard on my ruler now....lesson learned!

EmbQuilt 01-19-2012 09:54 PM

I did it with a brand spanking new blade, nice and sharp! I got a lovely almost U shape scar from lots of tiny stitches. Still hurts like heck - went to urgent care. Later saw the hand surgeon, who yelled at me for not going to the er as I damaged the nerves. How did I know?

It turns out that my ruler had a nick in it - I only use it for drawing lines not cutting.

Just make sure that your tetanus is up to date