Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Slippery rulers!- Is there anything that will help? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/slippery-rulers-there-anything-will-help-t107101.html)

teacherbailey 03-13-2011 04:34 AM

Once in a fit of frustration, I brushed rubber cement on the back of a ruler and let it dry. In my experience, it works the best of all that was mentioned. It does get "linty" and doesn't work as well after a LOT of usage BUT it comes right off when you rub it with your finger and you can put some more on. And just a weird thing....it costs less at my WalMart if you buy it in Home Improvement than if you buy it in Crafts. Same bottle, same size and everything....but about 50 cents cheaper in HI dept.

Yooper32 03-13-2011 05:04 AM

I use little soft plastic dots made by Dritz, called "Fabric Grippers". Have had them on my favorite ruler for six years now and they still work great. Recently came across them again and now have them on all of my rulers.

supergma 03-13-2011 05:07 AM

Once in frustration, I ran a glue stick (the craft kind) along the edge of my ruler. Be sure to let it dry before using it. The glue is acid free, and after it is dry, it doesn't come off on fabric. I have been using it for several weeks like this.

Kathy9052 03-13-2011 05:20 AM

In a Pat Speth class (Nickel Quilt lady), she mentioned that she used to use the sandpaper dots but they scratched the other rulers. She now buys the cheap rubber shelf liner at the Dollar store (don't use Rubbermaid - too thick) and cuts a little piece to place under the ruler when she is cutting fabric. The ruler no longer scoots, you have to pick it up and move it. Works great. One package of shelf liner would last forever. She had a piece that was about 1"x2" piece for her 5" square ruler and maybe a 2"x6" for her long ruler.

Birdena 03-13-2011 06:13 AM

A super inexpensive solution is surgical tape, The textured kinds they use for ivs availabe in drugstores.

Originally Posted by seweasy
Hi! I purchased an expensive roll of plastic film that was "supposed" to keep the rulers from sliding when using the rotary cutter and the ruler. I can't tell much of a difference in the side of the ruler without the plastic film and the sides that does the film. Has anyone found anything that works better than the film?
Sure would appreciate hearing back what has worked. It's probably my biggest problem in quilting, getting a really straight cut line. Thankfully the ruler I use the most, has a lip on it that catches the edge of the table but it's the smaller rulers that I have the most trouble with, and you would think it would be the opposite since they're smaller. Thanks, Chris

lynnsv 03-13-2011 06:52 AM

I like the OmniEdge rulers; one end has a lip that 'hooks' onto your mat.

QuiltNGanny 03-13-2011 07:00 AM

I was recently gifted some Steady Betty ruler things. They are strips of Steady Betty fabric that stick on the ruler. You can cut them to the size you want and stick they on the ruler. I've just started using them and they work great. The only draw back is that the ruler won't slide at all and you have to pick it up to make even slight adjustments. I just have to get use to the process.

carolstickelmaier 03-13-2011 07:08 AM

I use sandpaper dots but in a pinch I have used a small dot of hot glue.

bgullett 03-13-2011 07:16 AM

Sandpaper dots. Love them and put them on all my rulers.

Para722 03-13-2011 07:26 AM

The sandpaper dots are the best.