Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Small Ironing Board for Sewing Room - Need Suggestions, Please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/small-ironing-board-sewing-room-need-suggestions-please-t228166.html)

Maggie_Sue 08-17-2013 03:03 PM

Wow Sak658 that is really nice Like how it matches your chair!

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 08-17-2013 03:06 PM

You don't need to worry about what you will put in the bins. You are a quilter. Give us storage and we will fill it. :D

mpspeedy2 08-17-2013 03:32 PM

I have an old chest of drawers that originally had legs. I cut off the legs and that makes the top 36" high. The top with the addition of a cutting mat makes a great cutting surface. With an ironing mat it doubles as an ironing surface. It also provides me with three full drawers of storage space and two small drawers that hold cutting and marking tools etc. I attached wire mesh racks designed for storing wax paper etc. in a kitchen on the sides. They hold my wonder under etc. along with other stabilizers and there is even room for a small portable iron to hand off of the side. I hung a rack above it meant to hold lids etc. that holds my rulers etc.

KSellers 08-17-2013 04:04 PM

I use the tv tray with batting and fabric staple gunned to it... and it is great! I love it because it can just sit beside you, and you can sew and iron as you go. Kathy

aborning 08-17-2013 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by quilttiger (Post 6239821)
Since you want a small ironing board, the one you are considering should fit your needs well since the space underneath is not being wasted. The large bins can be used to store packages of batting, scraps, fusible/interfacings and similar large items you may have in your sewing room.

I was also thinking that this looks ideal for a small sewing area. I would store bags of batting in the 3 sections below as they have to lay somewhere!

Lovequilting22 08-17-2013 04:27 PM

I'm in the process of making my own as well using a similar process to joyce888. :)

nanacc 08-17-2013 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by sak658 (Post 6239866)
I love mine that I made from wooden tv tray from Walmart..around $7. sure is convenient by my machine..used aluminum foil next to wood..then 2 layers of batting and then fabric..made it with elastic around the edge[ATTACH=CONFIG]430773[/ATTACH] so I can slip it off to wash...

I like your idea of using elastic so it is removable. I just got that tray for my Hubby to use for his laptop. Maybe I should have bought one for myself. I have an ironing board cover that I did not like the fit on large board that would make a good cover I think?

mighty 08-18-2013 06:33 AM

I think I would use a wooden covered TV tray.

charsuewilson 08-18-2013 08:07 AM

While the link to Penneys looks interesting, when I need a small ironing board, I use a wood TV tray with a towel folded on top. It's sitting height, and I can put it right next to the sewing machine. When sewing somewhere other than home, I have a small portable ironing pad I can use with a small iron (or larger one if I feel like carrying it).

KerryK 08-18-2013 12:02 PM

Thanks to all of you for your wonderful responses/suggestions! I'm still thinking about this, but leaning toward the one in the link I provided since it would provide a little larger surface than the TV tray. I dunno ... I'll think about it tomorrow ... but not much longer. I'm too impetuous to wait long ... when I make a decision, I'm ready to get 'er done!