Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Small learners block for child??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/small-learners-block-child-t120582.html)

Great-great granny 05-03-2011 01:39 PM

Suggestions please - My 8 yr. old great grnd dgtr will be spending the week end w/me & thought she might like to "create" a SMALL project for her mom. Since I have my machine out working on a project & a few left over 5" charm pieces, I'm looking for something EASY. She has NEVER sewn before & only been around a machine a couple of times recently @ my house, but she loves the colors I've been working on.

Thanks for any ideas you could share.

Have a blessed evening :lol:

Up North 05-03-2011 01:43 PM

Could she do as simple 9 patch and make a pillow? My granddaughter started just sewing charm squares together and made a lap size for herself.

bearisgray 05-03-2011 01:45 PM

You could make 4 patch blocks with the 5 inch squares and alternate them with 9-1/2 inch squares.

Little RoO 05-03-2011 01:49 PM

You could expand it slightly and do a disappearing nine patch...she could help sew the nine squares together and then you could cut them and she could arrange them.....if you use them so there are no points to match it is easy and great fun....you could then turn it into a nice bag with handles....I'm sure her mum would love that..........whatever you decide I hope have a great time.

thequiltmama 05-03-2011 01:49 PM

Everyone has all given great ideas. Oh, but how about a pot holder for her to take home to parents :) Small yet, she will feel like she did something big. Make it a 4 patch pot holder. :) Have fun.

bearisgray 05-03-2011 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by thequiltmama
Everyone has all given great ideas. Oh, but how about a pot holder for her to take home to parents :) Small yet, she will feel like she did something big. Make it a 4 patch pot holder. :) Have fun.

Believe it or not, I have trouble making potholders.

Maybe it's because I'm making them too thick - with two layers of warm and natural?

qbquilts 05-03-2011 01:55 PM

I agree with the potholder suggestion. Quick and easy so she won't feel overwhelmed and you won't get too frustrated if she doesn't take to the project as quickly as you hope. Plus it's a practical item that can be used (and even treasured) even if it doesn't turn out quite as expected.

Scrap Happy 05-03-2011 01:59 PM

Maybe a mug rug?

quilting cat 05-03-2011 02:01 PM

How big a project? A doll quilt that is just 16 of the 5" squares would be a good size to start. I started a pre-teen with a 4-patch of 9" squares, that we made into a preemie quilt.

TonnieLoree 05-03-2011 02:28 PM

I hope your granddaughter surprises the heck out of you and shows a knack for sewing! Neither one of my girls ever wanted to learn when they were small, although I would have loved to teach them. One of my granddaughters is my color coordinator; quick to critique what I have chosen. Sheesh, she's only 5 1/2!