Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Small Pieced Blocks ~ Any Advice Would Be Appreciated (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/small-pieced-blocks-%7E-any-advice-would-appreciated-t108797.html)

janedee 03-18-2011 11:08 PM

the blocks look really good - I think I would paper piece them

cheryl rearick 03-18-2011 11:38 PM

One thing about Rhonda's way, you never have to worry about those little seams matching, Good luck and happy quilting.

sewcrafty 03-19-2011 12:30 AM

Here's a site for HST's. The only thing is the smallest is a 1" finished block. If you print the 1" off at 75%, it'll hopefully make them a finished size of 3/4".

http://www.blockcentral.com/a-halfsq...glepaper.shtml

If worse comes to worse, PM me and I can e-mail you the pp'ing directions from EQ.

quiltmaker 03-19-2011 01:23 AM

I do my half square triangles the old fashioned way. Your block really looks beautiful. I am definately not a paper piecer so I can't offer any help to you other than to go slow and line everything up as perfect as you can. I am a starcher also expecially witht the smaller blocks.

janRN 03-19-2011 05:01 AM

I've been doing the FWS quilt and the blocks are very similar to what you're doing. Your blocks are lovely. In addition to what the other gals have mentioned, I've found some seams need to be pressed "open" instead of to the side. This helps the block lay flatter and comes out truer to size for me. Just another suggestion.

Rhonda 03-19-2011 08:08 AM

One tip I have is I like to tack my seams together or the sides of a pair of HSTs when I am joining them. When you are working with minis every little thing is magnified. so a 1/16" off looks like a half inch off. I match up my seams and run a stitch through them twice. Then I look to make sure the seams are matching before I sew the HSTs together.
A stitch in time saves nine! LOL It does save frustration later on.

Janquiltz 03-19-2011 09:31 AM

Hints for working with small pieces of fabric for miniatures:

Single hole plate – useful
Use a Sharp needle size 60 or 10/11(instead of quilting needles – give better stitch, but may cut thread. Universal #11, okay
Avoid loose weave fabric if possible - tighter weaves are easier to work with when doing miniatures.
Scant ¼” seam
Press seams open before trimming
Cut down to generous 1/8th after sewing
Use thin silk pins and 3/8th" or 1/2" applique pins
Use 2-ply, 60 weight thread = strong seams but less bulky(embroidery, orafil, metrocene cotton)
Try 12-15 stitches per inch and backstitch a few stitches at the beginning and at end of each seam.
Use same ruler for same project
Batting to use – low loft

Paper piece when possible, sew strips of fabric together and cut seqments for 4P's or 9 P's or make two-color HST's.

Use tweezers, awl, or seam ripper to guide pieces though needle.

Use tweezers to pick up small pieces - especially applique. Washable glue is always helpful to hold fabric in place when the pieces are too tiny to pin. Will post more if I think of any more hints.

running1 03-19-2011 09:41 AM

I don't have advice, but am noting all this great advice! I want to try some small blocks, but haven't yet. Your persistence is inspiring and your quilt and last block are beautiful!!

Lori S 03-19-2011 12:00 PM

When Working with small pieces... starch... starch and starch. I buy the concentrate and dilute one part starch to one part water. Starch and let dry prior to cutting. It make a HUGE difference. I also like to press seams open on the little units.
You may also want to think about using Thangles for your half square triangles especially for the tiny ones.

quilter1943 03-19-2011 02:59 PM

I think it looks great but it must have been difficult on those points. As others have said, paper piecing is always the best result with points especially on pieces that small. It would be an easy block to draw out too. It will be a lovely quilt.