Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Small Scissors (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/small-scissors-t52491.html)

Linda B 07-02-2010 02:08 PM

I am about 2/3 or the way through cutting out over 150 alphabet letters in varying sizes out of felt with frezzer paper on top and heat n bond on the bottom. These are for a Cub Scout banner project my DD asked me to make. In the process I'm ruining my favorite small pair of scissors -- the only ones I have that will actually cut right to the tip of the scissors. And I don't remember for sure where I got these years ago, but I think it was some place like Walmart. There is no brand name on them. From the pivot screw to the blade tip is 1 3/8 inches.

So, my question is this: What brand/type of small scissors do you use for sewing and other projects like this and where did you get them?

Scissor Queen 07-02-2010 02:14 PM

My favorites for cutting out small applique pieces are the Elan brand of scissors. I found them at a LQS.

MadQuilter 07-02-2010 02:20 PM

My sausage fingers do not like really tiny scissors. I use a 5 1/4" pair of Ginghers.

kwiltkrazy 07-02-2010 02:25 PM

Try cutting a fine sandpaper with them. Should sharpen them up. But, if you need new ones I like the honey bee scissors at Joanne's, I think they are 9.99.

Linda B 07-02-2010 02:42 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I had never heard that about using sandpaper to sharpen scissors. So far these are staying pretty sharp. But I'm worried about 'springing' them so that they don't close properly and cut properly right at the tip. Of all the small scissors I've had, these are the best for cutting through right at the tip.

Laura1557 07-02-2010 02:56 PM

I came across some Fiskars brand small scissors at Michael's. They just remerchandised their quilting department (such as it is) so they were half-price clearout. They're working well so far!

dotcomdtcm 07-02-2010 03:04 PM

I got mine in a goody bag from Martha Stewart. They are the best I've ver used. I think they sell them at Michaels.

kwiltkrazy 07-02-2010 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by kwiltkrazy
Try cutting a fine sandpaper with them. Should sharpen them up. But, if you need new ones I like the honey bee scissors at Joanne's, I think they are 9.99.

These scissors are found in the scrap booking department, and they also cut clear up to the point, I use them for making snowflake, so they have to cut up to the end.

raptureready 07-02-2010 09:31 PM

My favorite is a tiny pair of Ginghers. Hancocks sells them for $24 or $25. I bought a box of sewing junk stuff at an auction one night for $2.00. In one of the bags was a piece of ugly tan yarn. When I pulled it out to through it away there was a pair of tiny Ginghers attached to it!

sewcrafty 07-03-2010 04:03 AM

I have the Fiskars small scissors with the micro tip. Love them! The tip is really fine and I'm also able to snip out seams on the back of the material instead of using a seam ripper. Much quicker!!!