Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   small world...many quilters (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/small-world-many-quilters-t38662.html)

Pzazz 03-05-2010 05:47 AM

Don't you love our small world? I live "outside of town". A neighbour about a mile down the road and I have chatted often, but usually about grandkids, or gardens, or???? Yesterday she came in to my work to ask for some help related to what I do there. Naturally, being "normal" women, we managed to get off topic....and discovered we both love quilting!! I have a feeling that mile is going to be shrinking. ;)

Patti

Elisabrat 03-05-2010 06:00 AM

That is so fortunate. I think we are all so much more alike than different. Its just getting past that initial stepping out of my known and reaching into something new. A new friend. A neighbor, a stranger in the store.. lots of good people out there. Congratulations!

Marcia 03-05-2010 06:03 AM

How fun for you!! I would give anything to find someone who lives close to me who shares my love of quilting. No one in my neighborhood does (and it is a HUGE neighborhood)

Pzazz 03-05-2010 08:13 AM

Yes, sometimes it is stepping out of our comfort zone, and somtimes it is simply not having the right conversation. :) My DH and I moved about 6 1/2 yrs ago to where we are now. Our closest neighbour is about 3/4 mile down the road. Although rural neighbours are there in a flash to help if you need it, it is different than town neighbours for getting to know one another....no fence to chat across. ;) We love where we are for a lot of reasons, and now I have one more reason to love it.

Patti

MaryStoaks 03-05-2010 09:25 AM

It's so fun to have a neighbor to talk/play quilting with. My two neighbors/friends didn't quilt until I showed them a quilt I had just finished. Now they are both quilters, we always have a friend to share our victories and defeats. Teach your friends to quilt!

amma 03-05-2010 09:43 AM

That is so awesome!!! Friends come to us at surprising times and places :D:D:D

Stummel 03-05-2010 10:00 AM

That is so great! I wish there were any more quilters around here, I can't even find a decent fabric shop, nevermind other quilters. Especially people in my age group (30's) around here don't seem to do many crafts, none of my friends can even sew a button on :)

Oklahoma Suzie 03-05-2010 10:47 AM

wow, isn't it great finding someone so close.

littlehud 03-05-2010 07:18 PM

It is amazing how many quilters there are out there.

b.zang 03-05-2010 07:27 PM

In my job I visit schools in neighbouring towns. Today in the staff room of one, two teachers were talking about the quilt retreat on the weekend. I commented that I'd never been to a retreat and received an invitation to the next one. I don't know any of these people, other than these two women that I see very casually at work. But I'm eagerly awaiting the next retreat!