Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Smelly fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/smelly-fabric-t248001.html)

citruscountyquilter 06-06-2014 04:23 AM

Smelly fabric

I'm looking for suggestions on how to get odor out of fabric that has been stored. Someone brought in a ton of fabric to the give and take table at guild this week. For the most part it was strips, completed blocks, strip sets etc. Not something that could be washed at this point. It came from an elderly neighbor who has had to give up sewing so is getting rid of all of their things. Given the colors in the fabric it is not new but still very good condition and very usable. It has an odd smell however. Somewhere a cross between dirty socks, musty, pet. It's not overpowering, just there. I don't want to store the fabric with my other until I get the smell out and have other projects in the hopper right now so can't devote time to sewing this fabric together and quilt it so I can wash it. I'm also not sure I can get the smell out so don't want to invest the time in a quilt if I can't. What have other people used to freshen up fabric scraps?

Judith1005 06-06-2014 04:27 AM

I would soak it in a bit of vinegar and baking soda. NO agitation. Just a gentle soak. And lay flat to air dry.

Twisted Quilter 06-06-2014 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Judith1005 (Post 6747088)
I would soak it in a bit of vinegar and baking soda. NO agitation. Just a gentle soak. And lay flat to air dry.

Works for me too, but I use about a cup of vinegar. :thumbup:

RobynRaye 06-06-2014 04:54 AM

I have had pretty good luck getting musty/odd smells out using bounce dryer sheets. just put fabric in something you can close up like a box, a plastic tote, or even an old pillow case or sheet.

Sewnoma 06-06-2014 04:58 AM

Can it be hung from a line outside? Some sun and fresh air would probably do wonders for it. Just don't leave it out there so long that things start to fade!

Dolphyngyrl 06-06-2014 07:43 AM

Why can't it be washed. thats what I have done on purchased ebay fabrics that have smelled, one was so bad that I complained and seller sent additional fabric

Terri D. 06-06-2014 07:44 AM

I, too, would soak it in warm water with a tiny bit of Orvus paste. Rinse until the water looks clear and lay out on a clean, light colored towel to dry. Press while still slightly damp. If the odor lingers, I'd seriously consider not working with those items.

Onebyone 06-06-2014 07:57 AM

Put it all in a big laundry basket and sit outside. Every few hours give the fabric a good tossing around. It may take a couple of days. My great aunt had a closet full of clothes she hadn't worn in years that smelled that way. I hung them outside and the smell went away. Much easier then washing and drying and then ironing.

Gladys 06-06-2014 07:58 AM

Great information from everyone. I'm going to remember this for when it's my turn to get smells out.

Kat2 06-06-2014 08:37 AM

This may sound crazy, but when we had to store our refrigerator for 3 years, I put charcoal in an open container and I was able to use the refrigerator without any smell. Is there somehow you can have a closed container and put the fabric in and have the charcoal in an open container inside of the first container.