Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Smelly fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/smelly-fabric-t82446.html)

granma1 12-12-2010 06:34 PM

I bought some beautiful floral upholstery fabric to make some covers for my new old gals. Got it at joann's. It was really pretty and very cheap.3.50 down from $20. It looks like a tapestry. I didn't notice the smell until I came out of the grocery store. Even my DGS (6) said what stinks?What should I do ? Do yall think I should hang it out side. Fabreeze it too death? UGHHHHHH!!!

Granna of 5 12-12-2010 06:36 PM

Hang outside.

quiltinghere 12-12-2010 06:50 PM

Maybe it has a 'backing' that stinks?

fleurdelisquilts.com 12-12-2010 06:57 PM

Here's a trick I've read about but haven't tried:
Put the fabric in a container with a lid, add an open box of baking soda and cover. The baking soda will absorb the odor. Charcoal briquets will also work, just make sure to put them in a drawstring bag or something that breathes so the charcoal doesn't come off on the fabric. It may take several days.

Colorful Quilter 12-12-2010 06:57 PM

I too ended up with some fabric that smelled like chemicals, someone on the board suggested to soak it in a vinegar/water bath overnight...didn't have the vinegar and was snowed in today so if I can get out tomorrow I am going to try it

oatw13 12-12-2010 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by fleurdelisquilts.com
Here's a trick I've read about but haven't tried:
Put the fabric in a container with a lid, add an open box of baking soda and cover. The baking soda will absorb the odor. Charcoal briquets will also work, just make sure to put them in a drawstring bag or something that breathes so the charcoal doesn't come off on the fabric. It may take several days.

Unused kitty litter will also work in the box. Or, soak some cotton balls in vanilla and crumble up some newspaper and put them both in the box. Just don't set the vanilla cotton balls on the fabric or it may leave spots.

This method will take some time, though.

karenm36 12-12-2010 08:36 PM

I agree that letting it hang outside will help remove some of the odor as well as using baking soda or charcoal to help absorb the odor if you can't wash it. Is this material that can be washed? If you can wash it, I would do that with unscented detergent and add some borax or baking soda to the water as well. You may need to wash it several times before the odor comes completely out. I'm very sensitive to the chemicals in all fabrics and so all my clothing and even the fabric that I use in quilting has to be washed numerous times before I can use it or handle it...but with enough washings you should be successful.

granma1 12-12-2010 09:24 PM

I think I will start by airing it out for a few days. We are supposed to have nice weather for a few days. And then go from there. Thanks for the ideas.

Cyn 12-12-2010 09:45 PM

Great ideas! Let us know which one works for you!