Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   smelly mat question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/smelly-mat-question-t15096.html)

sewnsewer2 01-06-2009 10:03 AM

I have a green olfa mat that stinks of rubber! I've had it several months and the smell is still so powerful.

How can I get rid of that smell? I bought it new from Hancock.

UPDATE 1-6-09
I just looked up the olfa site, and this was in the FAQ's

How do I reduce the strong plastic smell from my new rotary mat?
Due to production and distribution, a new OLFA rotary mat can emit an odorous smell that some people are sensitive too. To overcome this smell, we suggest that the mat be wiped down with a solution of equal parts lukewarm water and white vinegar, then let it set for five minutes. Afterwards, rinse off the mat and towel dry. Repeat as needed.

It seems to be a problem for sure!

babeegirl 01-06-2009 10:09 AM

the only thing I can think of is to place it in a plastic garbage bag with a bowl of charcoal in there and seal it up for a few days. If that doesn't work I'd take it back for an exchange.

ButtercreamCakeArtist 01-06-2009 10:39 AM

The charcoal idea sonds like a winner...or try spraying and wiping it with Febreeze or vinegar, but I have no idea that febreeze would be bad for the mat or not? ???? Vinegar probably wouldn't hurt it.
I have one from Wal-Mart, one of the pink on one side, yellow on the other, and it stinks. It doesn't really smell rubbery, but stinky.

retrogirl02 01-06-2009 02:57 PM

babeegirl, the things I learn around here! I wouldnt' have thought of that but sounds like a great fix.
Is it laying out on a countertop or put away each time it's used? I think having mine out on the counter new probably wicks some of the nastiness away.

sewnsewer2 01-06-2009 03:55 PM

Mine sits on my table too but it still stinks! I've had it about 8 mos. The smell gives me headaches.

retrogirl02 01-06-2009 04:01 PM

Wow! That's awful. I wonder if contacting the company might be more fruitful....just a thought.

mimisharon 01-06-2009 04:50 PM

I HAD one like that, I got horrible headaches, too. I set it in the sun for some days, I washed it with baking soda, I washed it with vinegar, I left it in the sun on a flat surface for several days in a row, switching sides. Never got rid of the smell so I traded it to someone for a smaller one, just to get it out of the house!

You may find a better answer here somewhere, these folks are amazing! I got rid of mine before I joined here so I didn't have the experts to help. whahhhh

Good luck,
Sharon

auntluc 01-06-2009 04:51 PM

Does your mat sort of smell like a skunk...I had one like that and could never get rid of the smell.
I accidentaly left it on the seat of my car in the hot sun one day and it warped so bad I finally threw it away.

patricej 01-06-2009 05:00 PM

they must be defective somehow. i've never owned an olfa, but have never run across a smelly one in a store. i'm on my second fiskars mat, and neither of those had smelled like anything at all to me.

are you guys sure your families haven't dosed them with something so you'll quilt less and spend more time waiting on them hand and foot? :shock: :lol:

sewnsewer2 01-06-2009 05:23 PM

You're funny Patrice :lol: .

Well considering I haven't had the pleasure of smelling a skunk, I don't know. :lol:

It is an 18 inch mat.

That's a good idea, I think I'll try to contact olfa, thanks.