Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Smilies (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/smilies-t113639.html)

quiltmaker 04-05-2011 03:46 AM

When you want to put a smilie face somewhere on your response how do you know what they mean? Several of them look the same to me and when I put my curser over one or more of them I get no wording (for lack of a better word) as to what that smilie is saying....some are obvious but others aren't so easy for me to decipher.

Does anyone else have this problem? Am I doing something wrong?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. :-D

quilter1943 04-05-2011 03:51 AM

I'm old and way behind the curve on most of this so if I don't know, I don't click! :roll:

mommamac 04-05-2011 04:14 AM

try clicking on them & see what comes up in reply box. sometimes there are words that describe - sometimes just the facial expression will show. (:P = colon,P :-P = colon,dash,P ) hope this helps.

cjomomma 04-05-2011 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by mommamac
try clicking on them & see what comes up in reply box. sometimes there are words that describe - sometimes just the facial expression will show. (:P = colon,P :-P = colon,dash,P ) hope this helps.

I do this sometimes.

quiltmaker 04-05-2011 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma

I do this sometimes.

I tried clicking on them and of course the regular abbreviations show up but for example what does (:P = colon mean? On other sites you can hover over the smilie and it will say something like laugh, embarassed, confused, sad, etc., but these smilies won't talk to me LOL and it is so frustrating. I know some seem very obvious but with several of them almost the same smilie I am curious as to what the difference is and there are a few that I just can't seem to understand for whatever reason. :cry:

mommamac 04-05-2011 04:38 AM

when you click on one a colon and a P will show up in your reply box - but when you hit send, it turns it into a face with eyes & open smile. If there is a dash in between, that represents a nose.
Some do say what they are in words, not symbols.

Try them all & make yourself a cheat chart - we'll enjoy seeing all the faces pop up!
:) :-) :D

smile - smile - bigger smile etc.

quiltmaker 04-05-2011 05:06 AM

when you click on one a colon and a P will show up in your reply box - but when you hit send, it turns it into a face with eyes & open smile. If there is a dash in between, that represents a nose.
Some do say what they are in words, not symbols.

Try them all & make yourself a cheat chart - we'll enjoy seeing all the faces pop up!
:) :-) :D

smile - smile - bigger smile etc.

Thanks that helps some but what about the other ones? :shock: OK thought that one would mean confused but it says shock when put in the response....guess I'll just have to take your advice and do them all with a cheat sheet and try and figure them out..... :oops: :cry: :evil: :mrgreen: :( as I can see from just putting them out right now they don't mean what I think :x as what the heck does that one mean? Doesn't say anything but :x??????

Sorry must be having brain malfunctions on this subject :roll:

mommamac 04-05-2011 08:36 AM

thinking :x means 'annoyed' ?? I can see bulging eyes in 'shocked' :shock:

Here's a link that explains some of them - they seem to go on forever!
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/emoticon-meanings.html

When all else fails ask a teenager - they speak the language. :lol:

Qbee 04-05-2011 10:08 AM

Instead of doing the "Quick Reply" at the bottom of the page, hit the "REPLY" button on the last person's post.
You have to do it this way to post pictues as well.
Anyway, when you do that you will see the smilies on the left. When you click on one of the smilies some of them will tell you like :shock: says "shock" when you click on it.