Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Snail Trail quilt no done... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/snail-trail-quilt-no-done-t290252.html)

quiltlady1941 08-07-2017 10:11 AM

Snail Trail quilt no done...

1 Attachment(s)
I thought I would be able to get this quilt done in time for the wedding but I didn't. I just gave the couple a picture of a snail trail quilt and said there's was on the way.

This was a very hard quilt for me for some reason but I do have the top done and just have to add the borders. I had some health issues, I fell down the basement stairs and hurt my arm so had to let that heal before I could go back to sewing. I'm fine now and so glad I didn't do something worse then just my arm. I tripped over our kitty and went down, I think he was more scare then I was, poor kitty.

My question is, it is turning out more square, right now the top measures 82x84 with out the borders, when I add the borders it will be 102x104, it is suppose to be a king size quilt which is around 104 x96 or a little bigger if you want a longer drop. Is a square quilt ok, most quilts I make are not square. I could maybe add a extra border on the top and bottom but didn't know how that would look. So what are your thought on this.. Thanks

here is a picture before the borders laying on top of our king bed, so you can see it fits the top of the bed.

QuiltnNan 08-07-2017 10:25 AM

in my estimation, king beds are nearly square, so i'd continue as you are. it's very pretty.

Jingle 08-07-2017 11:43 AM

Very pretty.

SuziSew 08-07-2017 11:48 AM

It's very pretty, and I think well worth the wait!

When you add your boarders you can always make the top and bottom a little larger if you want more of a rectangle shape. Great job!

Maureen NJ 08-07-2017 01:00 PM

Your quilt is very nice. I like the colors a lot. I would suggest that you ask the bride and groom for some measurements. The top of a king size bed is 76"width x 80" length but the drop on the sides and bottom will vary with the thickness of the mattress, height from floor to the top of bed, if a dust ruffle will be used, if you want a pillow top included in the measurements. My daughter and I both have king size beds and the measurements are different. Since they already know about the quilt, it will not ruin their surprise and, in the long run, it will be used more. I got two quilts for my wedding 40+ years ago and they are special to me. What a nice gift.

Tartan 08-07-2017 01:05 PM

Great quilt top and square is fine for king size!

SusieQOH 08-07-2017 01:06 PM

I have a King size bed and they are indeed square!!

dunster 08-07-2017 06:07 PM

A California king is 72x84. In any case, a square quilt is good for a kingsize bed.

marjben 08-07-2017 08:39 PM

I'm making a king sized quilt for my son and his bride for their wedding and it is square (120 x 120).

quiltlady1941 08-07-2017 09:36 PM

snail trail not done

Originally Posted by marjben (Post 7882206)
I'm making a king sized quilt for my son and his bride for their wedding and it is square (120 x 120).

Oh Wow! that is a big king size quilt. I don't know if I could quilt something that big on my DSM.. all the measurements on the charts say104x93 or if it a bigger drop 120x112 ,maybe I got the measurement wrong but i think they are right. Thanks for your help

I guess I will just leave it square. thanks again everyone..