Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Snap Bags (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/snap-bags-t62447.html)

quilterj 08-31-2010 06:01 PM

Anyone who has boughten their tape at the dollar store did you use only one piece on each side? My bil says that not matter what one you buy, unless you get the real wide tape they all bend the same. Can anyone tell the difference?

mom-6 08-31-2010 06:52 PM

I have not yet made a bag using the metal measuring tape in the top, although it's on my 'to do soon' list.

My understanding of the way the 'bend' works is that you want to have it so that the way the tape was rolled on the spool is situated so that the two pieces seek to 'curl' back towards each other when the bag is shut. Hope that sentence makes sense to somebody besides me!

quilterj 08-31-2010 07:10 PM

Yes I have already made one myself. I just wanted to know if there really is a difference if any in the different strengths of bend in the tape measures (Ithnk I am explaining it right). So that I guess it would make it tight if you used one each side and then if you used 2 pieces it would make it come together closer and be stronger. Since one is coming from a $1.00 store verses any other. I hope I am not confusing anyone.
You know what the saying is you get what you pay for.

CompulsiveQuilter 08-31-2010 07:12 PM

Do tell ... what is a snap bag?

M.E.H. 08-31-2010 10:21 PM

Go up to search at the top of the page. Click on search. Type in snap bag.

pjustice63 09-01-2010 01:41 AM

Haven't tried it yet but was told if you use two pieces of measuring tape on each side, it makes the "snap" much stronger. That might come in handy if you were using it as change purse.
Tape ends with masking tape. Numbers always facing lining.

raptureready 09-01-2010 05:28 AM

numbers face the lining? I thought the two pieces were supposed to go together like spoons in a drawer, no?

calla 09-01-2010 05:33 AM

I have made them with the $$ tape, worked fine. Remember to have the curve of the tape so its to the outside of the bag. calla/Sue

Gee in reading the other posts I made mine different........but it worked............go figure............

SewExtremeSeams 09-01-2010 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by quilterj
Yes I have already made one myself. I just wanted to know if there really is a difference if any in the different strengths of bend in the tape measures (Ithnk I am explaining it right). So that I guess it would make it tight if you used one each side and then if you used 2 pieces it would make it come together closer and be stronger. Since one is coming from a $1.00 store verses any other. I hope I am not confusing anyone.
You know what the saying is you get what you pay for.

The one I made in a class had us using two pieces in each side. It snaps together wonderfully tight. I think these are really neat for people who have arthritis in their hands. :-D

SewExtremeSeams 09-01-2010 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
numbers face the lining? I thought the two pieces were supposed to go together like spoons in a drawer, no?

No, curved side should be facing to the outside of your bag on each side. Although, maybe together like spoons works. I think you might lose the snappiness on one side if how it's rolled up has anything to do with it.