Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Snow! A great day for making a quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/snow-great-day-making-quilt-t307952.html)

juliasb 11-11-2019 10:44 AM

Snow! A great day for making a quilt

I got up around 4am and looked out the window to a gentle snow. I thought this is a great day to do my favorite winter activity,making a quilt. So far we have 4" and expecting more before this one is over. My sister was snowed in and is hibernating now until spring. She got 11" the other day and expecting another 6-8". She is already hunkered down with her quilting supplies.
I am making great progress with the re-make of my baby quilt and with this weather I am glad I don't have to be out in it. This is the best weather for quilting.
Now here's the question do others here find they quilt more in the winter than summer months or does it make a difference.
I also find it more pleasurable to hand quilt in the winter especially sitting in front of the fire place.

Tartan 11-11-2019 02:14 PM

I quilt year round but it is nice to hand sew binding on my lap in the winter. It a good day for chili and biscuits for supper.

liking quilting 11-11-2019 02:46 PM

I get a lot more quilting done in winter as the outside duties and hobbies take too much time the rest of the year.

midwife 11-11-2019 03:41 PM

I quilt much more in the winter. For me summer is for outside activities.

maryb119 11-11-2019 04:10 PM

I quilt year round. I hibernate in the A.C. just as well as in the cold and snow. I do like to do binding and hand quilt in the winter so I can have a quilt on my lap.

Quiltah Mama 11-11-2019 04:18 PM

I quilt mostly during the winter. I do sew year round, but don't make quilts during the summer. Just small stuff, table runners, wall hangings,jelly roll rugs......ect. you get the picture. I agree,for me summer is about being outside,active, lots of outdoor activites. But it is nice to have AC in the quilt studio to be able to sew when the mood strikes. Or if the rain drives you inside.

tallchick 11-11-2019 04:25 PM

I quilt year round, but more so in the winter. Summer is mostly yard work but only when it’s not too hot or early in the morning the rest of the time I will quilt when I feel inspired to do so.

peaceandjoy 11-11-2019 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by maryb119 (Post 8325833)
I quilt year round. I hibernate in the A.C. just as well as in the cold and snow. I do like to do binding and hand quilt in the winter so I can have a quilt on my lap.

I'm with you! However, even with AC on, I don't really care to do much ironing in the summer. AC is always between 70° and 74°, but standing over the iron, especially if steam is on, is awful!

SusieQOH 11-11-2019 05:06 PM

It sure feels like we're going to get some snow here but it hasn't yet.
I quilt all year long but I also love hand work with a nice fire going. Cozy!!!

mjkgquilt 11-11-2019 07:06 PM

I'm about 30 miles south of Waterford, MI. Was hoping we would not have any snow until 12/24. Oh, well -- it will melt eventually. LOL