Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Snowball Blocks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/snowball-blocks-t192734.html)

BellaBoo 06-26-2012 07:49 AM

I paper piece snowball blocks. It takes less time then all the fussing to be accurate that may work or not.

nativetexan 06-26-2012 08:06 AM

when you flip the fabric over toward the corners, press flat. then turn the whole block over and trim the edges down to the backing block exactly. and use that edge for sewing them together. if you are off a bit with your triangle fabric corners, the base block fabric will be your guide always.

burchquilts 06-26-2012 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn (Post 5315623)
I also just sew a square on the corner of the square block. However. I don't care for the snowball blocks that have really thin tops and sides so I make my corner squares a little smaller. (so I have a fatter snowball) I think the thinner ones tend to look wonky. The first picture is of the thinner snowball and the 2nd picture is of a fat one on a baby quilt that I made.

I LOVE Snowball blocks & I really like the way you did your "fat" ones. What is the ratio you use for them? For instance, if you were doing a 6" blocks, normally I'd use a 2" corner block. What size would you use?

jcrow 06-26-2012 10:50 AM

Auntylpn, yes, what size block is the big block and what size is the little block in your fat block. I, too, love it and would like to make my blocks look like that.

MadQuilter 06-26-2012 12:16 PM

I also sew just on the inside of the drawn (or pressed) line. Then I press the corner back but I do not trim both back pieces. I only trim the back of the corner color and leave the background piece intact. If things got a little wonky, I always have the background square to use as my guide.

dc989 06-26-2012 07:25 PM

Thanks for the ideas. One tip I found quite some time ago for pressing was to marry the seam and then use the tip of the iron in the middle of the seam to press it over. The iron does the work of evenly pressing the entire length of stitching from the center out to each side. I hope that makes sense because it does work well. I am always very conscientious about pressing because of a bad experience I had in a lonestar class as a very new quilter. I was struggling to keep up so a friend offered to press my strata. She got it so out of shape I couldn't use it. Then I was REALLY behind! Donna

auntpiggylpn 06-26-2012 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by burchquilts (Post 5318562)
I LOVE Snowball blocks & I really like the way you did your "fat" ones. What is the ratio you use for them? For instance, if you were doing a 6" blocks, normally I'd use a 2" corner block. What size would you use?

Originally Posted by jcrow (Post 5318583)
Auntylpn, yes, what size block is the big block and what size is the little block in your fat block. I, too, love it and would like to make my blocks look like that.

Okay, it's been a while since I made this quilt. What I know for sure is that I used a 5" charm square. I believe that I used a 1 1/2" square in the corners. I can whip one up tomorrow to make sure!

JustAbitCrazy 06-26-2012 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by clements (Post 5319534)
Thanks for the ideas. One tip I found quite some time ago for pressing was to marry the seam and then use the tip of the iron in the middle of the seam to press it over. The iron does the work of evenly pressing the entire length of stitching from the center out to each side. I hope that makes sense because it does work well. I am always very conscientious about pressing because of a bad experience I had in a lonestar class as a very new quilter. I was struggling to keep up so a friend offered to press my strata. She got it so out of shape I couldn't use it. Then I was REALLY behind! Donna

Ok, I understand that you are only using the tip of the iron to press out the seam in the direction you want it, from the center out in each direction. What I don't understand is what "marry" the seam means. And are you pressing from the front then? (I think you are...) Thanks in advance for any clarification.

twinkie 06-27-2012 04:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Crqltr (Post 5315660)
This is the way I was taught also, never cut the corner off your large square only middle layer from the small corner block. It gives you the tru block to square it up.

I agree with Auntpiggylpn. This is one I made using that method:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]344954[/ATTACH]

I also used a nine patch between the blocks and a 10 minute block in the border.

southernmema 06-27-2012 04:30 AM

Thanks for all the great info!