Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   so annoyed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/so-annoyed-t54044.html)

sheilainoz 07-12-2010 03:56 AM

I broke the walking foot on my machine .... now I have to go buy a new one ... I can put it back together but it wont stay together.

Its as tho there is a piece missing .. the metal bit of the foot below the silicone bit keeps falling off :(

pollyjvan9 07-12-2010 04:00 AM

I have had the very same problem! Only I broke two. My Baby Lock and my Juki walking foot. I decided it was that I was pulling on my fabric instead of guiding it when I was FMQ. I priced them and they were so expensive that I haven't replaced them. I have taught myself to FMQ in the ditch and I think it is easier than with the walking foot. Will be watching your thread to see what others have to say.

MZStitch 07-12-2010 04:20 AM

I've never broken my walking foot, but thanks for the tip about pulling on the fabric. I know I'm guilty of that, and will be more careful from now on!! They are expensive, and I don't want to have to replace mine!!!

mic-pa 07-12-2010 04:27 AM

Why are you using your walking foot for free motion quilting. I would not think that would work. I use my darning foot for free motion quilting. That is the foot that has a spring on it that makes the foot hop up and down.

sheilainoz 07-12-2010 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by mic-pa
Why are you using your walking foot for free motion quilting. I would not think that would work. I use my darning foot for free motion quilting. That is the foot that has a spring on it that makes the foot hop up and down.

If you mean Pollys statement I dont think she meant she uses the walking foot for fmq. She now uses the fmq foot to stitch in the ditch .

brushandthimble 07-12-2010 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by sheilainoz

Originally Posted by mic-pa

If you mean Pollys statement I dont think she meant she uses the walking foot for fmq. She now uses the fmq foot to stitch in the ditch .

Polly broke 2 FMQ with her wlking foot before learning to use the other foot

pollyjvan9 07-12-2010 05:38 AM

I wasn't FMQ when I broke the walking feet but I think I was pulling on the fabric instead of letting the machine move the fabric. I use thin batting now and don't have the problems of stitches stacking up over seams etc. But I do all my quilting with the FMQ (darning) foot now.

cjomomma 07-12-2010 06:46 AM

Broke mine the first time I used it. :(

quiltilicious 07-12-2010 06:51 AM

I broke my free-motion spring foot on my Husqvarna. I probably didn't install it right the last time - the bar that's at the top of the spring (that butts up to the screw on the needle holder) just snapped off.

I learned to use the darning foot now. The only problem is when there's a lot of bulk at a conjunction of patches.

tweetee 07-13-2010 01:48 AM

Ive had my walking foot for about 5 years.....never had a problem with it.

The trick is to guide and support you fabric thought the foot, not pull it out the other end. That kind of defeats the purpose of a walking foot. By all means hold you fabric behind the machine, but dont pull, just have a firm grip and support. Thats how Ive always done it anyway.

I also slow my machine down quite alot too, and this way I dont get any tucks becasue I can smooth them out as I sew, and not take the foot off the gas and think, oh, darn, I just sewed a tuck.