Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   so consumed with my lqs experience i forgot to tell you about the quilt police! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/so-consumed-my-lqs-experience-i-forgot-tell-you-about-quilt-police-t53094.html)

mhansen6 07-08-2010 06:33 AM

I wonder what she would have said about the quilt I made for my granddaughter. She is seven month old and when she is on the floor she is on the quilt. My daughter loves it because she can just throw it the wash and she does on a daily basis.

I make my quilts to be used. If they wear out it gives me another reason to make a new one.

lynnie 07-08-2010 06:45 AM

when i was about 18, quilting for awhile then, i made a quilt for the beach, really big, about 100x100 for me and my friends to use. boy, did i get earfulls rom strangers on what would my mom say if she knew i took her quilt and so on. i loved that quilt coz o all of the memories of my hs friends and the pic nics we had on t.

Lucille A 07-08-2010 06:46 AM

Hurray!!!! for you. You go girl. Quilts are to be used, dragged around by little ones, sat on, picnicked on----used. You handled that like a pro!!!

quiltmom04 07-08-2010 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by magnolia
I'm never good with comebacks; I would have just stood there stunned! I am amazed at how people take it upon themselves to tell others what to do. Especially when it doesn't concern them and nobody is being harmed.

I would have been stunned too! I always think of something to say too late! Good for you to give her "what for"!!!!

vickig626 07-08-2010 07:32 AM

Good for you !!!
It's amazing how some people self-elect themselves. There are NO quilt police in my area that I know of but will have to watch out for her since I live in SE Michigan. :lol:

dphelps 07-08-2010 07:42 AM

I am SO LMAO at this. It has all been said but I want to add how proud I am for you. YOU GO GIRL!

watson's mom 07-08-2010 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by mygirl66
OMG! You handled it MUCH better than I ever would of! The second she put her hands on me, she would of had my size 9 boot, straight up her ass! She can voice her opinion, free country, but touch me like that, someone woulda got hurt!

I love this response, don't call the police, call her an ambulance first. Free country or not, hands off!

My quilts have cards that go with them, I tell everyone to use them up, let the kids make tents and play forts, lay on the floor or the couch with it. Have a picnic or a snooze in the shade with it but MAKE MEMORIES with it. When it can't be held together any longer, we can always make a new one to be loved.

Covered in Threads 07-08-2010 07:57 AM

I'm so glad you got a chance to "hopefully" open her eyes up to the real use of a quilt. To be so well loved that other quilts will need to be produced to take it's place in time.
I'm in the middle of repairing 2 such "loved" quilts for my daughter and will she be surprised when she gets them back next week. I've only been trully quilting for a few short years and these were some of the first ones I made. When I send them back to her both of them will actually be improved. I've learned so much from workshops, classes and this board with helpful hints and recommendations. I see each quilt I make as a step to making the "someday" a perfect quilt which I hope doesn't come anytime soon - having too much fun making them and learning along the way.
I too make all my quilts for others to love and enjoy in anyway they see fit. Love them all till they are trully worn out.

Covered in Threads 07-08-2010 07:58 AM

Love the idea of putting a card with your quilts, recommending they make memories with them. How sweet is that!

sueisallaboutquilts 07-08-2010 08:33 AM

I made my brother a quilt once that he used on his bed. Being a typical guy he washed it and hung it out to dry- in the winter!!! I think something happened to it b/c it's gone but I don't care. I know he loved it and I'm going to make him another one. Like you all said- they are meant to be used and loved and when worn out make another!!! :D
PS. I think he was too embarrassed to tell me what really happened to it but I wouldn't care! He used it for years and that's all I care about :D:D