Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   So excited about my very unexpected Christmas gift! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/so-excited-about-my-very-unexpected-christmas-gift-t32016.html)

deedles215 12-20-2009 08:00 PM

I just have to share it- DH and I just got back from Christmas in IA with his family and had a wonderful time. I'm always glad to be home though.

I spent some time with my MIL on Saturday while DH was with his dad doing boy things (his parents are divorced), and we got to talking about sewing and crafting, because I made a quilt for my niece.
I knew that she had a stash of fabric and yarn and just about everything in-between, but knew nothing more than she had it...
Here's the big news.

I got to dig through it all, and take whatever I wanted!!!!!!

Pitter patter, my little heart!!! ANYTHING I WANTED.......

She has, I swear, the biggest stash I've ever seen. I don't think anyone could rival the amount of fabric this woman owns.
We're talking 20+++ large totes, stuffed full... not including garbage bags... and that was just what WE went through that afternoon.
And such beautiful varieties! Old fabric, new fabric, poly, cotton, knits... whew... it was a good day. My favorite part was finding scraps of fabrics that she'd made things out of for my DH when he was a boy, how precious! There was also scraps from her mom's clothing, sister's wedding, etc... you get the picture. EVERYTHING.

So, for me, having no stash at all- I was in HEAVEN!!

Ahh... it was a good Christmas! Now just to start these projects... :)

Teacup 12-20-2009 08:05 PM

What a great surprise. So what did you bring home?

deedles215 12-20-2009 08:11 PM

I took what I thought I could handle working with for now... roughly a lawn/leaf bag full. :) it was tempting to take more, but she's always there.

I'll take a picture and post it. Mostly cottons for quilting, some of them are new, but most are old as she's had them in storage for a long time. I did take some pretty polys that I thought would make cute scarves for Christmas gifts...

Very happy girl!!!

Shemjo 12-20-2009 08:14 PM

How very wonderful! It is good that the fabric will have a good home!

Jim's Gem 12-20-2009 08:17 PM

What a great Christmas gift for you!! Have you planned anything special to use the fabrics that were involved with DH's clothes?

Leota 12-20-2009 08:20 PM

That's awesome... wonderful Christmas gift ! :D

Will you show us pics? :D

amma 12-20-2009 08:23 PM

Awww the best gifts can be the most unexpected ones :D:D:D
I can't wait to see what you create out of these fabrics!!!

deedles215 12-20-2009 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
What a great Christmas gift for you!! Have you planned anything special to use the fabrics that were involved with DH's clothes?

Yes, I have plans. Call me crazy... ;)
DH and I have been married for 5 years, I'm 26, he's 29, kids are in the future, but years away... I LOVE kids, but I LOVE that I can send them home. So someday I'll hopefully have some of my own, just not soon.
I woke up with a dream a few weeks ago that if I ever have a boy, I want the nursery to be deco'd in a vintage cowboy theme.
The old fabrics I found were all in that 'look,' including scraps of flannel with cowboys on it that MIL had made into pj's for the boys- DH and little brother.. Isn't that weird?! So! That's my plan for some of them! hehe!
I'm crazy, but now I want to make a cribskirt, quilt and bumper into this precious little cowboy theme for a little boy I clearly don't have, for a baby that is years away from being a twinkle... :)

sharon b 12-20-2009 09:01 PM

What a wonderful Christmas surprise :mrgreen: And knowing that you can get more is even better ! And I know that she is happy knowing it is going to a good home and will be loved and cherished :lol:

Bottle Blonde 12-20-2009 09:11 PM

Ok, this proves it......some MILs do have a heart. She knew the fastest route into your heart. jk I'm an MIL myself. lol Congratulations on receiving the best gift a quilter could ever want.