Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   So Excited but So Scared!!! New Babylock Symphony (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/so-excited-but-so-scared-new-babylock-symphony-t218054.html)

Fortyniner 04-02-2013 07:02 AM

So Excited but So Scared!!! New Babylock Symphony

Yesterday, my DH and I went shopping for a new sewing machine. I am having trouble with tendonitis in the area of my right elbow and decided I needed a machine with one of those knee lifts to reduce the constant lifting of the presser foot. We went to a Janome Dealer and I tried out their 6600 and the Horizon, but couldn't decide. The 6600 had the thread tree thingy and I could just see what fun my cats would have with that. The Horizon sewed really well, but the front of the machine bows out over the needle area and I had to lean back to see the buttons and couldn't even see the needle path around the needle to thread it. The knee lift was hard and I wondered if I would just be changing elbow pain with knee pain. I probably spent a couple of hours at the shop. We then decided to stop at a Babylock dealer 15 minutes before they were to close. I just planned to see what the cost was. The owner showed me the Symphony and we brought it home. Now, I am worried I didn't do due diligence in my search- to make a decision in 15 minutes. We have a Bernina dealer and a Viking dealer nearby. Should I have shopped more?

I used it some last night, and I don't even feel like I am sewing-just pushing buttons. Kinda scarey and awesome at the same time. There is a button that starts and stops the machine and a speed control, a button that lowers and raises the presser foot in addition to the knee lift, a button that raises and lowers the needle, and another button that cuts the thread. There is an automatic threader that is simplicity itself. It sews laterally and diagonally. The strangest thing to me- the bobbin thread doesn't come up from the bottom. Can that be right? Until January, I hadn't sewed for over probably 40 years, so I know I am behind the times. Have things changed that much?

Does anyone own a Symphony? Have you had any problems? Does the thread come up from the bottom? Did I make the right decision?

francie yuhas 04-02-2013 07:11 AM

Sorry,I don't have one so only can say," welcome to the wonderful experience of new stuff to play with! Sounds like you made a good choice!

mighty 04-02-2013 07:15 AM

I do not have this machine but sounds very nice!!!! Enjoy!!!!

Dolphyngyrl 04-02-2013 07:18 AM

Had the older version, loved mine but traded up 6 months ago, she was always easy to use, never gave me any problems, wonderful machine, hope you enjoy yours as I did mine. we had some good years together

Tartan 04-02-2013 07:20 AM

Yep, technology is wonderful and terrifying at the same time! It sounds like your new machines does a lot of things automatically which should help with your tendonitis. A lot of the high end new machines are the same.
Can you return your machine if you find something you like better? If not, don't even look as you will disappoint yourself. Does the shop that you bought your machine from offer free classes? I take free Bernina classes for my new Bernina and it does help to get familiar with a new machine.

Fortyniner 04-02-2013 07:33 AM

Tartan, I didn't even ask about their return policy. Oops!! I went all prepared with my list of needs and wants, but then made this really snap decision. But they do offer free classes. They told me to bring it home, work with it a little and then I could schedule individual classes about any time I wanted. I will do that after I finish reading the manual.

velinda 04-02-2013 07:45 AM

I have two Babylock sewing machines a NX 2000 (laura ashley model) and a QC2000 an earlier version. I couldn't be happier. I also own 2 Babylock embroidery machines.......I have had no problems and owned the oldest one since 2000. You made a great decision and I'm sure you will be happy with all the new features.

sewincircles 04-02-2013 07:47 AM

You will get used to what it can do, and I think you made a great choice!

bigredharley 04-02-2013 08:25 AM

I bought the Baby Lock Crescendo in a similar experience and absolutely love it. I recently got back into sewing and due to severe arthritis, was having hip pain from the angle of stepping on the foot pedal (driving a car causes the same problem). I started using the push button and am in love. Does the symphony have the option to stop needed down pressure foot up each time? My crescendo does and it'a awesome - no need for the knee control either!

My next Baby Lock purchase is the Long Arm. I'm a customer for life!

quiltstringz 04-02-2013 08:53 AM

If you fell in love with it and took it home, you must have been in love. Just make sure to take your classes so that you can get the most out of it.