Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   So Excited (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/so-excited-t306738.html)

quiltingfan 09-05-2019 05:09 PM

So Excited

Just signed up for a lecture and a class at the Houston Quilt show !!! Who all is going ?? Have been wanting to go for years and this year I just decided to go for it . My hubby told me that is my b day present . Exactly what I wanted !!
That being said. Who has gone ? Where have you stayed ?? What is the best places to eat ? I was noticing how expensive the hotels around the convention center are super expensive, but don't want to pay for parking . Any advice ?

quiltingshorttimer 09-05-2019 07:53 PM

I'll be following this thread cause when I asked my DH if he wanted to go to Houston for the quilt show, he said ok (decided there is much in quilting after I "made" him to to National Quilt Museum in Paducah!). We are staying downtown near one of the bus/trolly lines that cover the area near the Convention center. Flying down, so it will be a quick trip I'm not taking classes--spent all my class money this summer at the KCRegional Quilt Fest, but so excited to go! I got our room on Hotels.com and we are about 10 minute walk to the ConventionCenter--the hotels listed on the show website were either way too expensive or full already. But we wanted to be close enough to walk (since flying) without renting car and dealing with parking. so I basically added parking fees in with room fees as what you'd really be paying if you had car--seems like most of the downtown hotels only have valet parking and none that I saw had free parking. Of course, you live much closer!

sprice 09-06-2019 05:56 AM

Excited for you attendees! Please post some pictures for us!

ksdot417 09-06-2019 06:19 AM

I was fortunate enough to be able to go for 4 years. I loved it! I was on a tour so I didn't have to worry about where to stay etc. I will tell you a couple of things. Wear good shoes and call your credit card companies to let them know there could be some out of country/state charges. I lost count of how many times I heard people say their credit cards had been frozen and were in a panic at the show. The vendors are amazing! Have fun.

debstoehr 09-06-2019 06:22 AM

Find a hotel on tne outskirts of Houston that is near a Park and Ride and use the Metro.

juliasb 09-06-2019 07:24 AM

My dream vacation trip would be to go to Houston for the Quilt Show. I suppose it will remain a dream but I do want to hear about your experience.

toverly 09-06-2019 07:33 AM

Have an awesome time! We stayed at the Hyatt downtown. It was on the shuttle going to the Convention center. Worth every penny to stay downtown. One day there were torrential rains and flooding. The crowds were greatly reduced due to flooding streets. A perfect day at the show. I remember there was an Armenian grocery store downtown that have some remarkable pastries and deli. Maybe someone here will know the name, it was only a few blocks from the Show.

MicheleC 09-06-2019 09:38 AM

I was fortunate enough to be able to go last year and it was absolutely amazing. Fortunately for me, I have family in Missouri City and only had to pay parking and entry fees. I parked at the Toyota Parking garage which was only a few blocks walk and it was $10. I’m hoping to go again this year. It is worth the trip!

The Quilted Cottage 09-06-2019 03:35 PM

Happy you get to go! I am excited to be going, too! This is my first time attending. I will be staying at the Hilton. I booked really early so was able to get a room. From what I’ve read, it’s right next to the convention center so I won’t need a car. I’ll just take a shuttle or Uber from the airport - flying in from So Cal.

I’m taking a sampler class (lots of different instructors sharing their methods) and two longarm classes that will use Innova longarms - one with Jamie Wallen and one with Bethanne Nemesh. I’m planning on purchasing an Innova so these classes should be a good investment. Or at least that’s my rationalization :D

Maybe those of us attending could meet up one evening for dinner? I don’t know what’s around the convention center but I’ve heard there are lots of good places to eat.

cashs_mom 09-06-2019 03:48 PM

I live in Houston so I'm there every year. I usually don't take classes anymore because it's such a hassle to get from my house downtown in the mornings, but I spend 3 or 4 days shopping/looking/taking pictures. Its a wonderful show. You'll have a great time.

I would pay for the downtown hotel. If you are taking classes, you really don't want to be fighting the traffic driving in in the morning. Traffic here is outrageous and drivers are very aggressive. If you stay downtown, you can take the shuttle or walk across the skyway from your hotel.

There are lots of good restaurants downtown as well as one right in the on the outside of the convention center. You definitely won't starve!

Bring comfy shoes and a large tote bag to carry your goodies. Rolling totes are not allowed on the floor of the convention center during Quilt Fest. I'm not a fan of backpacks because the aisles are extremely crowded and the big backpacks invariably whack people when the wearer turns. Also, you really don't want your wallet and money on your back when its easy prey for a pickpocket, to say nothing of the hassle of taking it off to get your money out in a crowded booth.