Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   So frustrated! Help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/so-frustrated-help-t254209.html)

mammab 09-22-2014 07:43 PM

So frustrated! Help

2 Attachment(s)
I am trying to quilt a small quilt using the stitch regulator on my machine. It stitches fine for awhile. Then it randomly skips stitches, sometimes 1 or2 and sometimes an inch long section. Then it starts stitching correctly again. I have changed the bobbin, changed the needle, cleaned the sensor or the foot. Anybody have any ideas. The last time I had this problem, I thought it was from chalk dust on the sensor, but this time I have not marked a pattern. I hope I attached a couple of photos.

masufa 09-22-2014 08:00 PM

take the presser foot plate off and check for pieces of thread or lint in there and make sure the bobbing area is clean.

SlightlyOffQuilter 09-22-2014 08:23 PM

I have had that happen to me when I have missed a stray thread on the back of my quilt top before basting it together and the needle skips when it goes over the loose thread. I have also had it happen when I have had a pieced top and pieced back and I am going over a seam on the back ( can't see it ) .

Peckish 09-22-2014 08:29 PM

What size needle/thread combo are you using? Try a larger needle.

Tartan 09-22-2014 08:35 PM

Chalk can fog up the sensor but since you have cleaned it, that shouldn't be the problem. I had one black fabric that gave me fits! I finally switched to my regular darning foot and it stitched fine. How full is your bobbin? Mine likes a fairly full bobbin and can get grumpy as it nears the end. Try a different spool of thread as well.
Have you broken a needle lately? Sometimes that can knock off the timing and in that case it needs a trip to the shop. Clean out your bobbin area and add a drop of oil to the hook even if it isn't time to do so. Make sure the thread from the thread spool is feeding smoothly as a tiny catch can cause problems.

Jan in VA 09-23-2014 12:30 AM

I recently had the same problem that, finally, after trying everything mentioned here, I solved by changing to a Schmetz microtex 80/12 needle. Still thinking about taking my baby in to the 'doctor', though.

RN-Quilter 09-23-2014 01:08 AM

Check your speed - mine does that when I go too fast.
HTH :)

Barb in Louisiana 09-23-2014 01:15 AM

I really hate it when the problem is intermittent. It makes it a lot harder to find. Mine was doing that for a while and I had a tiny piece of thread in the take up lever mechanism inside the machine. How it was managing to interfere with the stitch, I don't know, but once we got that out of there, it stitched fine. Now, if I have a problem, the first thing we do is take the screw out of the back of the front cowling, take it off, and look at the entire stitch path.

Another time, I had managed to put an "L" bobbin in my Brother which takes a "15". The big Brother did not like it at all. It wouldn't sew good as long as yours did. Just a few stitches and it would throw a tantrum.

Right now, I am using a large cone of thread for some piecing. I am using a free standing thread holder, but am having to keep the carry handle for the machine in an upright position so that the thread runs over that before it goes through the guides or it tries to bind up. That will give me a similar problem as to what you are having. The thread stand needs to be taller, but it is so light that if I try to put it on anything it falls over.

Hope you find your problem quickly.

ManiacQuilter2 09-23-2014 05:33 AM

I would make a small sample quilt out of scraps and try it with out your stitch regulator. You have to eliminate what could possible be the problem.

Pat M. 09-23-2014 07:51 PM

Remember, foot fast and fabric slow, it looks like you have problems doing curves. It took me a while to get the concept down.