Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   So frustrated! Why wont my machine do freemotion correctly (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/so-frustrated-why-wont-my-machine-do-freemotion-correctly-t158645.html)

calla 10-07-2011 01:37 PM

What kind of thread are you using? Not a metalic I hope that is very hard to stipple with. In addtion, when you have a bobbin nesting problem look to the top thread. RPM or speed up on machine and slow movement with your hands remember to breath. calla

abc123retired 10-07-2011 02:18 PM

Your Dresdens are beautiful. I hope mine turn out as well. Congrats to you. And I have used the Slider with the feed dogs up and it does help to keep even stitches, but rather slows you down.

ManiacQuilter2 10-07-2011 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Nanasrcool
I am new to quilting. I finished my quilt top and it turned out great. I wanted to do some freemotion stippling on the outer perimeter and watched video after video and even read a few books. I started practicing. EVERY time the same thing. The top thread ends up with a huge nest on the underside of the quilt. Even at best I have a large loose loop of the top thread on the bottom. I have adjusted the tension in small amounts from +3 to -3 and NOTHING has helped. I have left the feed dogs up (have a supreme slider in place so it wont move the fabric) because one instructor said this might help and it made no difference. I have a singer 7426. Does anyone else this model or a singer that can help me shed some light on a solution here. There is no way to adjust anything on here but thread tension, stitch length and needle placement. I have tried matching threads in top and bottom, using poly thread on top and bottom. I just have no idea what I am doing so wrong. PLEASE HELP ME! Till now my experience with quilting has been such a positive one. But I am so stuck. There is a DVD that helps but I am not going to buy one that will simply tell me the same things I have already been told in the utube instructions and then have the added frustration of having paid money I dont have and STILL be stuck.

I think that at least half of the quilters on the board have at least ONCE had this problem. Usually, it is because I didn't thread the machine carefully. I have a Bernina and sometimes the thread doesn't get into position on the tension gage. That is the first thing that you come down to put your thread thru before going up to the lever that goes up and down (that helps advance the thread on the spool). Another thing is when have you had it serviced last???. If it is NEW, I would take it in to whom I bought it from. A sewing machine is just like a car. You need to have it oiled and lubed at least once a year. GOOD LUCK and do make a sandwich quilt. I have been quilting for OVER 30 years and I STILL have one handy to always check my threads!!!

thepolyparrot 10-07-2011 04:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
Am I missing something here? I don't see anywhere to Edit title or Edit Subject even if I go to one of my own topics.

When you open the first message of a thread and you are the author of the first post, there is an option to edit the topic's title on the left side of the page above your user name.

One of my topics with link circled:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]267652[/ATTACH]

#1piecemaker 10-08-2011 03:04 AM

Rethread your whole machine and see if that helps. Sometimes the problem is so obvious, but yet hidden.

DirtyPaw 10-08-2011 03:55 AM

Good advice 1000Projects!

Dodie 10-08-2011 04:33 AM

have you lowered the feed dogs if they don't lower tape a business card over them

Smiley27 10-08-2011 04:38 AM

I was having nests, too. I found it helped to not only make sure the needle was ready, but to hand-tighten the top thread before starting again. This does get boring to keep repeating, but it did help! Good luck, and keep at it! :) The practice sandwich is a good idea. :)

pineneedles4 10-08-2011 04:45 AM

What type of foot are you using? I usually use the open toe round quilting foot but maybe you need the bigger foot to hold the fabric in place. They also make a quilting need that has a spring on it to help hold fabric in place. Also, make sure you are using a sharp (not universal point) needle. I tend to use a needle in a larger size like a size 16 jeans needle or a needle marked as a quilting needle. These tend to have a sharper point and a larger eye and groove to allow the thread to pass through any layers. The needle can be a size 12 as long as it says sharp not universal. The universal needles are more rounded on the tip.

stitchofclass2 10-08-2011 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
if the nesting is sporatic, it's possible that your thread is not feeding smoothly. perhaps a thread net over the spool would help.

What is a "thread net"? Yolanda