Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   So happy helped a new quilter get started (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/so-happy-helped-new-quilter-get-started-t44715.html)

DeniseB 05-02-2010 03:39 PM

My son's girlfriend is a lovely girl and very crafty. She has seen all the great things I have made and now wants to quilt. I am doing a happy dance...... I can share my stash with her and teach her this beautiful art.

Last night she went through several pattern books I thought would be good for her to start with. she found several patterns she picked one for her first. I told her to go through the 25 tubs of fabric I have and pick what she wanted to use. If she picked something I didn't want to share I would let her know. She found everything she needed except the backing and we started the ironing and cutting process. She took to it great, she wasn't afraid of the rotary cutter, but she was very careful and paid attention. We cut 288 4 1/2" x 8 1/2" rectangles of the assorted color fabrics and the 96 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" rectangle and 288 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" squares of the tan fabric. We went over the directions and I sent her home to play. She'll be back to visit in two weeks I can't wait to see how she does.

Just wanted to share.

JanetM 05-02-2010 03:42 PM

Aren't you sweet!!! I think that is wonderful that you are teaching her and supporting her interest in quilting. I just hope it doesn't cause trouble with your son, when she says she wants a date with you instead LOL.

sewingladydi 05-02-2010 03:48 PM

Good for you. Glad to see new quilters/sewers still interested in the "fabric arts". Sometimes I'm afraid that in 20 or 30 years, there won't be anyone under 50 who even knows how to thread a needle, let alone sew or quilt.

Good luck to your "student".

PALS65 05-02-2010 03:51 PM

OHHH I would love to have someone like that!!

pam1966 05-02-2010 04:06 PM

My ds is only two, I have years to wait! LOL! And my daughter has NO interest in anything like this. She doesn't even like to cook.

Lucky you!

MamaBear61 05-02-2010 04:24 PM

Good work on sharing of your talent and creating yet another quilter. As long as people like you continue to guide others the art of quilting will live forever.

MegsAnn 05-02-2010 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by sewingladydi
Good for you. Glad to see new quilters/sewers still interested in the "fabric arts". Sometimes I'm afraid that in 20 or 30 years, there won't be anyone under 50 who even knows how to thread a needle, let alone sew or quilt.

Good luck to your "student".

Hmmmm... I'm 26 now so in 20 years I'd still fit into that category but not in 50! Maybe I'll have kids by then I can teach.... :)

amma 05-02-2010 05:00 PM

What fun!!! That is so nice that you are willing to share and teach her :D:D:D I can't wait to see her first quilt, one of many I bet!!!

theresse 05-02-2010 08:40 PM

You must be on top of the world, congrad. Although I'm a little stingy,My kids have always come first, now I'm second after my DH. I all most for got. Theresse

jljack 05-02-2010 09:06 PM

Isn't it just a joy to pass on the quilting gift? I am teaching quilting at our church right now, and I am just reveling in the excitement as the ladies put together their blocks and get so excited to see it coming together. I feel so blessed to be able to share this with them, and to pass on the gift that was passed to me. All in the spirit of preserving the skill of quilting. I love it!!!