Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   So happy with sewing machine purchase. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/so-happy-sewing-machine-purchase-t190661.html)

LavenderBlue 06-03-2012 01:39 PM

On closer look, the machine does not have a stitch length choice of 0. There are 3 stitch choices: short (good for paper piecing), regular, and a longer basting size. Now I am unsure if covering the feed dogs with paper would do any harm....... This will probably not be a problem for me, however, as I have yet to try FMQ and would most likely do it on my Janome 6600 anyway.

Prism99 06-03-2012 03:17 PM

It's true you can FMQ with feed dogs up, provided you set stitch length to 0. I have done it. It probably works better on some machines than on others, but worth a try. Some quilters find it provides better control over the quilt while FMQing.

Edit: When stitch length cannot be set to 0, it's okay to tape a credit card or other plastic over the feed dogs.

tjradj 06-03-2012 05:12 PM

So glad you like Janome. I've used a Janome for the last 15 or so years and love them. Now I have 2. I could write a commercial for them. They have all the bells and whistles, come with a ton of attachments and are easy to learn. It would take an earthquake to change my love for them.

LavenderBlue 06-04-2012 03:50 AM

tjradj, I'm right there with ya, paddling the same boat!

Scakes 06-04-2012 04:02 AM

Congratualtions on your new machine. Have fun! I've only got 1 Janome but have had good luck with it.

newestnana 06-04-2012 04:23 AM

I also have a Janome 6600 and have thought about purchasing a lightweight machine for classes, etc. I'm okay with leaving my FMQing to do on the 6600 (which has a bigger throat).

Are any of your feet interchangeable between the two machines? I assume the bobbins are the same (boy, I'd hate to have to keep track of two different bobbin sizes).

stchenfool 06-04-2012 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by LavenderBlue (Post 5261314)
Over Memorial Weekend, I purchased the lightweight and portable Janome 3128 during Hancock Fabric's sale. I am loving it! It is only 11 lbs., has a carrying handle, a light, very easy to thread/wind and insert bobbin, 17 stitches, snap-on feet, reverse stitch and several other features. In addition to the regular foot, it includes a 1/4 foot with the ridge. It sews very quietly - enough that I will use it in the dining room while dh watches TV. The only features it lacks are a thread cutter and drop feed dogs. Supposedly, Hancock's has this sale periodically throughout the year. It is valued at $179, but their price was only $89. Shipping for items over $35 was free. For the price and quality, I would recommend this machine, especially for travel and classes.

Thanks for posting - I'm thinking about getting a lighter machine for just the reason you did.

momjoy6 06-04-2012 05:51 AM

AHHHH! That sounds like a great idea. I hadn't thought of doing that. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing .

Originally Posted by LivelyLady (Post 5261383)
You don't need to drop the feed dogs when FMQ. Just put the stitch length to "0". I learned this from Leah Day tutes.
Enjoy you machine!

jamsbuying 06-04-2012 06:08 AM

Congratulations on your new machine!

Caswews 06-04-2012 06:30 AM

lol !! congrats !! I saw the Memory Craft 12000 and OMGoodness what a machine .. but I couldn't see spending that type of monies on a machine .. But I sure wanted it .. LOL