Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   so, I'm intrigued at the thought of buying a longarm (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/so-im-intrigued-thought-buying-longarm-t216428.html)

caspharm 03-17-2013 10:28 AM

I tried many different machines before I purchased one (Innova). I agree with clements about finding a shop where you could rent time on a machine and see if you really like doing it, since it is a large investment. I am a person who likes doing my quilts from beginning to end.

I started with the LQS near my old house. They bought a LA (Nolting) that they gave a 6 hour class on its use and after completing the class, you could rent time on it. Then they upgraded to a Gammill. I used both machines. I tried both a Tin Lizzie at a dealer and an HQ at a quilt show, but wasn't thrilled with them. The HQ dealer told me that I would have to bring the ~ 45# head into the shop once a year for servicing.

We moved from SFBay area to LV and I tried to find a rental place here. However, the LQS that did rentals was in the process of switching from being a Tin Lizzie dealer/rental to a Gammill dealer/rental and the machines were not available for rental at that time. My husband also said since we now had room for a LA, that I could get one, so I started shopping in earnest. I joined a local guild at that time as well. I mentioned to the then president at the time that I was looking into buying a LA and she recommended that I try an Innova (she didn't own one, but knew about them). I went to the dealer in St George and tried it out and fell in love with it after trying it at their store and also at a local quilt show. The Innova doesn't leak oil like the Gammill and is very easy to move.

However, that being said, you definitely need to try the machines for yourself before purchasing, because everyone is different and likes different machines for different reasons. You definitely have many things to consider with a purchase from feel of the machine to price and space.

Christine- 03-17-2013 10:34 AM

The Tin Lizzie is a wonderful machine. I bought mine a year ago and love it. It isn't fussy, and I've put it through the ringer at times. It really works well, and tech support is THE BEST I've ever seen from a company. When I get ready to upgrade, I'll buy another Tin Lizzie solely because of the tech support. I'm very impressed with them.

Pam S 03-17-2013 11:34 AM

For some really good information on what to look for in a long arm, questions to ask of yourself and the dealer and links to major manufacturers sites, go to www.longarmuniversity.com
I found this site very helpful when I was in the market for my longarm. I used the info there and was very happy with my purchase decision. I was looking at several brands but decided on a Gammell.

oldtisme 03-17-2013 04:02 PM

MadQuilter Thanks for the info about the HQ Sweet 16, I'm going to look into that! I'm in the same boat with the back problems..6 surgeries behind me literally.

sewbeadit 03-17-2013 04:09 PM

Try them all out and if you have a budget buy the best in that price area. That is what I did and have not regretted it.

fromzstore 03-17-2013 04:09 PM

i have had may request about the quilting frame that i saw at a local quilt show I have no affiliation with these people just saw it at the show but it worked wonderful you put your own machine on it check out the website www.quiltersexpress.com

QuiltnNan 03-20-2013 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by fromzstore (Post 5935189)
i have had may request about the quilting frame that i saw at a local quilt show I have no affiliation with these people just saw it at the show but it worked wonderful you put your own machine on it check out the website www.quiltersexpress.com

the owner is not presenting the frame very well.... the picture is of a regular DSM on the frame and there seems to be about 1-2" of quilting space available. one would need a machine with a much larger throat/harp. just sayin'.
i use a 9" throat Juki on my frame and i only have about 4" quilting space at the end of the quilt.

fromzstore 03-20-2013 04:39 AM

at the show she used a janome horizon 9 in throat also not sure what she has in the photo

pumpkinpatchquilter 03-20-2013 06:33 AM

I just recently purchased a "new to me" long arm. I would say this...if you are really comfortable and feel like you are or can with practice get good at quilting on a domestic...a large throat sit down might be a good option for you. I love my long arm, but the only reason I bought such a monster was because I had plans to go into business with it. I would say identify what you WANT and what you NEED and then go from there. Go test everything and try your best to be realistic about what you'll really do with it. Good luck! :)

suezquilts 03-20-2013 06:47 AM

There are several questions I would ask, agree with Pumpkin Patch, what do you intend, business or just plain Fun!
Business, I would get a machine with a frame you can grow with. Gammill Vision can be 22" to 30" depending on the throat of the machine. I have an optimum but had traded up to this size. I love the new track Gammill has, don't have that, but its really nice.
I so often see people who purchase a machine and it isn't what size they needed for their business. So think big!