Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   So many decisions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/so-many-decisions-t295560.html)

Jingle 03-17-2018 04:35 PM

I have been trying to use up scraps for so long, I can't remember how I use to decide.

yolajean 03-17-2018 04:54 PM

All of the quilts that I have made so far, except 2 of them, have been for my grandchildren (and they just keep coming. now they are called great grandchildren). I do interrupt the family quilts for friends or family members who are ill. Now making three quilts, one each, for 3 young girls (3, 12 and 20) who's father died tragically in September. Have 2 finished and am working on the third. Interrupted that one to make me a dress to wear to my granddaughter's college graduation in May. I have 2 quilts with tops ready for sewing down appliques and I have the Two Fabric Bargello in red waiting to do JUST FOR ME!!! Better get to sewing as I am 80 and who knows how many years I have left to finish or make new quilts.

jmoore 03-18-2018 03:07 AM

At the beginning of each year I make a list of goals which includes any UFO’s and new projects. Sometimes a new project is chosen to participate in a guild challenge like the Jen Kingwell Long Time Gone that our modern guild is doing this year. I think it is easy to get overloaded on ideas (because there are so many beautiful patterns) but for me I try to stay focused on one or two at a time so they don’t become UFO’s.

cindyb 03-18-2018 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Barb2018 (Post 8023427)
All of my upcoming projects are stored in a plastic (hopefully bug and mouse proof) tote with a notecard telling me the project name. All fabric necessary for the project is in there except maybe the backing. When I want a new project I just grab whatever strikes me at the moment. Then I cut what I need and put the rest in my stash. I was fun to do on those long cold winter nights.

My friend puts a dryer sheet in each of her plastic project bags and actually keeps them in a storage shed. She's never had a curious mouse yet.

ShirlR 03-18-2018 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Barb2018 (Post 8023427)
All of my upcoming projects are stored in a plastic (hopefully bug and mouse proof) tote with a notecard telling me the project name. All fabric necessary for the project is in there except maybe the backing. When I want a new project I just grab whatever strikes me at the moment. Then I cut what I need and put the rest in my stash. I was fun to do on those long cold winter nights.

That's what I do too. along with the pattern, or a note on where to find it, if it's a pattern that may be used for other quilts. The fabric for my stash is in larger totes, separated by color.

coffeecozy 03-18-2018 03:56 AM

Going by my UFO pile or asking my husband the answer would be - she just starts them all!
I quilt for fun so I just kind of pull out what I feel like doing on any given day and work on it. Quilts take a long time to finish that way.
They can be started by an inspiring fabric, a great pattern or a method that I want to learn.

Snooze2978 03-18-2018 04:40 AM

I decided I wanted to make a quilt for each family, single and child in my congregation (small congregation) but whose 1st so I wrote each of their names on a piece of paper and threw them into a basket including mine. When I'm ready to start a new project I pull out a name and that's who I make the next quilt. I've gathered the info I need for each quilt......color, style, size so when I see a pattern or a fabric I think might work for that particular person/couple, I put it on the shelf with the rest of their project. When their name gets pulled, I usually have everything I need by that time. Of course, some projects get moved to the front like if there's a new baby in the group or someone's health is at risk. Those will come 1st.

Innov8R 03-18-2018 06:28 AM

Retirement---That's when you quit your job and quilt as much as you like! I waited for it all my life and intend to enjoy it the rest of my life. When I begin to think about my NEXT quilt, it's a process of a collection of ideas from a notebook that I keep, things I see, books I read, and certainty that particular fabrics are perfect for a quilt I am thinking about.

toverly 03-18-2018 07:08 AM

Make a list of quilts you either have cut out or purchased fabric for and see what pops out of the list as a "to do first". You may be surprised at what sounds like fun. It also helps determine what goes on the free table at guild. Monkey be gone.

eimay 03-18-2018 07:32 AM

This is how UFOs are born.