Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   So, now what to do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/so-now-what-do-t102036.html)

Scrap Happy 02-22-2011 09:07 AM

Set it aside and go back to it when you feel comfortable with your experience level for it.

Maybe in the future when you are searching for a new project you could come to this site to look at the pretty WIP's and completed quilts for inspiration. Or you could go through quilt mags & books you have instead of heading to the LQS. It's kind of like going grocery shopping when you are hungry without a list :) After you have a better idea of what you want for your next project head to your LQS.

Midwestmary 02-22-2011 09:14 AM

Putting a project aside for awhile has been helpful to me - amazing how your perspective can change over time as you gain experience and confidence.

akrogirl 02-22-2011 10:08 AM

Hand piecing may well be a great skill to acquire, but I would never get anything done if all my piecing had to be hand done. Just doing the binding is bad enough, lol.

quiltmaker 02-22-2011 10:13 AM

I agree that putting it aside until you feel more comfortable with triangles might be the most helpful. Find a quilt pattern with a few triangles so you can get comfortable with doing them and build your skills. Some people are able to just jump in and do it and others need to take it more slowly as a step by step process.

As for signing up for any classes you need to review throughly what they are offering in any class and decide at that point if you want to do it. If it wasn't stated that this would be a hand quilting class and I didn't want to do it I would request my money back so I could join another class of my choice.

SueDor 02-22-2011 12:38 PM

Work on the triangle quilt a little each day and could you ask for a refund because you thought it was class was quilting with triangles.

kclausing 02-22-2011 12:48 PM

check out youtube, there are many, many videos on quilting. search for triangle quilting. I am sure you will find videos that will help you get past the intimidation.

And even if your points don't line up perfectly, I'm sure it will still be beautiful.

OKLAHOMA PEACH 02-22-2011 12:50 PM

Get some cheap or inexpensive fabric, and practice, it will probably only take a few square and you will figure it out or at least know what questions to ask. Good luck, stay cool!

jaciqltznok 02-22-2011 01:15 PM

get out some scraps and cut them just like the directions for the KIT fabrics...then practice on them....I bet in time you will be sewing up that kit!

PaperPrincess 02-22-2011 02:00 PM

Hmm, I took a class on curved piecing and did not notice that it was hand piecing. I really thought that the class covered the basics and everything was applicable to machine piecing. I'm sure that there are additional tricks, but I really got a good foundation from this class. The triangle class should have stated it was hand piecing, but I would think that at least the basics would apply to hand or machine, although the speed piecing tricks would not have been covered.

AliKat 02-22-2011 05:18 PM

Putting it away for a little while might just work. Then while you are waiting look at some different patterns using triangles. Some are really easy and don't involve Y seams but you just plan your work ahead and then sew the triangles, alternating them [one point up/base down and the next point down/base up.]

I know I had some patterns using only triangles but can't find them right now. Darn it.

Maybe someone else can post to this.

ali