Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   So proud of my daughter's first quilting project! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/so-proud-my-daughters-first-quilting-project-t273006.html)

twinkie 12-07-2015 03:51 AM

What a great story. Creating memories.

grammasharon 12-07-2015 06:06 AM

So fun! My DIL from Upper Michigan and I have a similar interest in quilting and the very best time of year for us is April and October when we spend 5 days with a great group of women at a quilt retreat on Lake Superior. Can't tell you how much this has brought to our relationship! My DD has no interest in any of the crafts I do but she's a great cook!

osewme 12-07-2015 06:35 AM

How wonderful to have a new recruit in the quilting world. My DD does not quilt but loves to help me with my projects. She sews but has never gotten into the quilting aspect.

annette1952 12-07-2015 07:07 AM

That is so cool that your daughter likes to quilt. I hope you took some pics . That would make a great memory quilt or a wall hanging or even a memory pillow. I would love that but I could never get my daughter or my grand daughter interested. They love my quilts but have no desire to sew at all. I thought at one time my GD showed a little interest but it soon faded.

nancyw 12-07-2015 07:18 AM

How Great. When my GDs were 6 and 4 I taught them how to quilt. I had to work the presser foot for the 4 year old because she was to short to reach it.

MargeD 12-07-2015 12:45 PM

You must be so proud that your daughter has taken up your love of quilting. My DD expressed no interest, whatsoever, except for telling me which fabric to use on which sewing pattern, and what colors she wanted her quilt to be, and even picked out the fabrics. Now at 30 something she took a crocheting class and even said she wished that she had learned to crochet from me. Oh well, I guess it's never too late, although I didn't take up quilting until my late 30's, early 40's, so maybe there's hope yet. You should have a wonderful Christmas next year with all your family present.

wildyard 12-07-2015 12:52 PM

Both my mother and grandmother were quilters by necessity. I never took to it as a young person. In fact, I only started quilting in 2010, when I was well into my 60's.
So don't give up hope on those kids and grandkids ladies! You never know when those quilting genes will kick in! Hugs and smiles!

Jingle 12-07-2015 01:53 PM

One out of two Daughters quilt, 2 Granddaughters have no interest, nor Granddaughter in law. Will have to see about my three great granddaughters. They are very young and not close by.

Material Witness 12-07-2015 02:42 PM

What a spectacular idea!

And don't give up on the next generation - I didn't get an interest in quilting until my 40's.

quiltingshorttimer 12-07-2015 09:09 PM

My 28 yr old son would jump at the chance of using the long arm--when we first got it I asked if anyone wanted to try and he immediately said YES, while the DD and DIL were reluctant to touch it. DS is a mechanic, worked for short time for a hotrod builder and ended up buying a car restorer's upholstery sewing machine (which I bought from him when he got married and short of cash). So never afraid of any machinery. And he was the kid that at age 10 decided to teach himself to cross-stitch (my daughter does wonderful cross stitch and winning at the county fair at the time)--so he grabbed an old towel that had a weave similar to aida cloth, regular thread, and started cross stitching!