Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   So...when do you call yourself a "Quilter"? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/so-when-do-you-call-yourself-%22quilter%22-t66990.html)

cindyg 09-28-2010 12:50 PM

I have a friend that pieces the most beautiful quilts and then sends them out to be LA machine quilter. She calles herself a "piecer". I did not start out with a long arm machine. I started by quilting my first quilt (king size) on my domestic - just pinned like crazy and stitched in the ditch. At that moment I was a quilter. I made several quilt tops after that and sent them out to be quilted and I considered myself a quilter. Now I have a HQ-16 and am just learning on it but I consider myself a quilter. There is no quilt police so you don't have to be perfect and everybody had to start somewhere. So I think you should get yourself some spray to baste with and some pins and go to town on those quilt tops. After all, it's just fabric and, so far, just a hobby. Go for it.

lance1quilts22 09-28-2010 01:44 PM

:D :D :D :D PennyJ I'm with you I alw3ays wanted to be a PHD

quilt3311 09-28-2010 02:02 PM

You can call yourself a quilter. If you have completed tops, your a quilter, now the next step will be putting the top, batting and back together and actually quilting it. OR as in one of my friends cases. Find a long arm quilter and have her do the quilting on her machine. My friend actually completes about 40 projects a year this way. She pieces and appliques the tops, sends them out to be quilted and then adds the bindings.

QUILT4JOY 09-28-2010 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I am not sure when you can consider yourself a quilter. Maybe when it becomes a obsession!!! LOL. I am sorry maybe I should have said an addiction no that's not the right word either. Oh! I know when the fabric's starts talking to you, no that's paranoia. HUM!! I think I need counseling. LOL.
Now stop being afraid of that quilt and get busy so you can tell others you are a quilter.

Well said cjomomma! And just remember you'd never see it from a trotting horse. :lol:

Lorraine babuick 09-28-2010 03:26 PM

You could be called a "topper". I have about 16 tops ready to quilt but I freeze up when it comes to quilting. So I guess I am a topper also. I actually have three sandwiched and hope to start them this weekend.
Nothing wrong with being a topper.

Latrinka 09-28-2010 04:02 PM

[quote=cjomomma]I am not sure when you can consider yourself a quilter. Maybe when it becomes a obsession!!! LOL. I am sorry maybe I should have said an addiction no that's not the right word either. Oh! I know when the fabric's starts talking to you, no that's paranoia. HUM!! I think I need counseling. LOL.
Now stop being afraid of that quilt and get busy so you can tell others you are a quilter.

Edited to say:
I know what the right word is now. It is when quilting becomes a passion not just a hobby.
I am just joking with you. You are a quilter.[/quote
Well said Cjomomma! Oh, and how about when you think fabric looks delicious?!

eman3779 09-28-2010 04:41 PM

I think you can call yourself a quilter. If there is one thing that I have learned from this forum and from some very experienced quilters who have mentored and encouraged me there are some fears to overcome. I am a very tactile person--have to touch the fabrics in the store, so I find that each phase of making a quilt is a different and pleasing experience. First I love the feel of the cotton as I start to cut and sew. Then the feel changes when you complete the sandwich and then another new feel when you are quilting and binding. Don't be afraid to jump into the next step. It is scary the first time but you will be so proud of yourself when it is done!

Janice Thompson 09-28-2010 05:02 PM

Is there s church group that does quilting in your area? Perhaps you could join them. Undoubtedly they would help you get started either hand or machine. Another place is to check the Senior Center. If you have made 3 tops, I would say your a quilter. Good Luck!

deedum 09-28-2010 05:21 PM

I think we compare ourselves to the great quilters, the ones who enter their quilts into contests and quilt shows! At least I do, I have come a very long way but in comparision not even to close to being a great quilter. Having said that, I realize that my quilts are loved and appreciated, therefore, I am happy to be whatever kind of quilter I am at this stage of the game! I must say though, I do quilt mine own quilts, just something I feel I need to do at this stage of the game anyway!

mamaw 09-28-2010 05:35 PM

I think that after you complete your first project, it initiates you into the world of a quilter. After that comes stash, ufo's, notions, and more patterns than you will ever use LOL.