Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Solids -What is best brand for sewing 1.5" squares? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/solids-what-best-brand-sewing-1-5-squares-t303841.html)

pinkflowers 03-26-2019 06:36 AM

Solids -What is best brand for sewing 1.5" squares?

1 Attachment(s)
I am planning a quilt for my son. He requested a Nintendo Zelda quilt using the games images that are made of pixels. I designed the blocks (18 x 18") in EQ8.

I purchased all the fabric in the solid colors needed. I planned to use all Kona solids. But after making one block with Kona - I'm not sure Kona was the best choice. I love Kona - the color choices and "stoutness" of the fabric, but this project may need a thinner fabric.

I bought the red, white, and black Kona fabrics at JoAnn. The black seems to be literally shedding away at the edges. All other colors I got at MSQC online. I only used the Cheddar of those, and it didn't seem too bad.

I'm wondering what other manufacture(s) would be a better choice.

My closest LQS carries Wilmington solids, which felt okay, but they only had a handful of colors.

Does any one have any thoughts about American Made or Moda Bella solids, or other suggestions?

I need about 20 different colors, in a thin, good quality fabric. I don't mind mixing manufacturers to get the color I need, as long as the fabrics are of similar weight/feel/look.

Attached is one of the blocks I made in EQ8 (a sack of magic dust).

sewbizgirl 03-26-2019 07:16 AM

My favorite solids are Dream Cotton by Marshall's Dry Goods... but they aren't "thin".

QuiltE 03-26-2019 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by pinkflowers (Post 8231028)
..........The black seems to be literally shedding away at the edges...........

Best Press can help when fabrics that want to shred.
Don't be afraid to be generous.

Plus you will find that it makes a huge difference when putting your pieces together,
to keep everything straight and square.

Good Luck!

joe'smom 03-26-2019 07:36 AM

I would go with Michael Miller cotton couture. It comes in many colors and is light and silky, having a higher thread count than most solids brands.

Maureen NJ 03-27-2019 03:47 PM

I also like the Michael Miller Cotton Couture. Soft, thinner with a high thread count.it would work great with all those squares.good luck.

Irishrose2 03-27-2019 03:50 PM

Black frays more in any fabric line because of the sulphur used to get the deep color. I like Northcutt solids, but they aren't thin.

SusieQOH 03-28-2019 04:05 AM

I love working with Moda solids but I'm not sure if they would be thin enough for your project.

Maureen 03-28-2019 04:17 AM

If you want the real Robert Kaufman Kona go to Hobby Lobby. JoAnn carries a cheaper version of it.

EmiliasNana 03-28-2019 04:44 AM

I am currently making the Sew Fresh Quilts weekly blocks of Harry Potter and using all Kona. I found that if I spray the fabric prior to cutting with Terial Magic (a very stiff liquid stabilizer that washes out), the raveling is almost non-existent. Some of my pieces are as small as a 1" sq. unfinished & everything fits together perfectly. The fabric is almost as stiff as cardboard. I did find that the spray may leave a mottled look depending on the density of the spray, but should wash out.

Charleen DiSante 03-28-2019 04:45 AM

I know this may seem heretic to some folks but here goes. (LOL) Try using Broadcloth. It is thinner than some quilt fabrics but may work in these small squares and it is more closely woven. Don't shoot me!