Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   A solution for quilting burnout (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/solution-quilting-burnout-t269277.html)

Sewnoma 08-27-2015 06:57 AM

A solution for quilting burnout

I've been a bit burnt on quilt-making lately. I've had the same quilt on my design wall for MONTHS now, and making almost no progress. I sort of lost the spark, I guess.

A coworker recently asked me to help her learn how to make quilts, and we've been working on her first quilt together. Interestingly, it's made me a lot more interested in working on my own quilts, and has re-inspired me to try new things and finish the things I have started and has gotten me back to doodling ideas.

So if you're having burn-out, find a student! It's so much fun to see everything "new" and fresh again through their eyes and will help you remember why you fell in love with the hobby in the first place. :) (And you can also unload some extra fabric and "stuff" on them and make you both very happy!)

DebraK 08-27-2015 07:02 AM

Great and giving idea. I'm trying to lure my son's girlfriend into quilting ;-)
I also have a lot of stuff I wouldn't mind sharing.

tessagin 08-27-2015 07:11 AM

I get burn out and then my little grandniece comes over. That's the spark I need. My DS let me know his youngest (my DGD) is interested in sewing. What to do? Told him to go to JoAnn's and get a beginner kit. He took Home Ec in high school for an easy credit and really liked the sewing part. Did not know he had already purchased a sewing machine to mend his own clothes. He then told me one of his friend's mother has a quilt/sewing shop. Told him to go there. He did and she gave him a discount and that is where he got all he needed. He kept saying he did that. that's ok but wish I had known when I was up there couple years ago. I didn't ask him the name of the shop though. DUH!!

AliKat 08-27-2015 05:31 PM

That's why I became so good in Math & eventually taught it ... by tutoring others who were less skilled back in grade school. I had to be able to rephrase what I was trying to get across. I learned the different ways too work with numbers because each student was different and needed different approaches. This made it fun for us all.

ManiacQuilter2 08-28-2015 07:56 AM

That is a great idea. I usually start putting another quilt on top of the blocks I am bored with.

lynnie 08-28-2015 05:00 PM

when I get burnout, I do counted cross stitch, crocheting, knitting or scrapbooking. it refreshes me. good luck.

quiltinghere 08-28-2015 05:06 PM

Glad that worked for you Sewnoma. If I get burned out,
I either take a nap or think about housework! :D

Nan

DonnaPBradshaw 08-28-2015 06:32 PM

I've read everyone's ideas about what they do for burnout! they are all good!

amandasgramma 08-28-2015 06:48 PM

Another burn-out solution: Granddaughter looks at you SO sweetly and says "gramma, I'm getting married next summer.....will you make me a quilt?".........Oh heck yes, pattern took three days to determine, found fabric within 2 days, Have 7 blocks cut out (Hunter's Star) and sewn in one afternoon.......ALL while recovering from bronchitis and moving our RV (we live in it) 2 times!!!!! YEAH!