Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Some Questions About Using Mircon Pens On Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/some-questions-about-using-mircon-pens-quilts-t196010.html)

Ps 150 07-28-2012 11:42 AM

Some Questions About Using Mircon Pens On Quilts

Last year I joined a quilting group at our church that makes Rail Fence quilts for cancer patients, and writes scripture on the center strip of each block. They use Micron pens and I was never really sure about that. I wasn't sure I trusted them. Then, when I came home from our last meeting, I received the horrible news that a friend has been diagnosed with Breast Cancer. While I could easily have given her one of the ones the church group made, I decided to make her one myself, with fabrics that I thought would touch her heart. I bought the Mircron pens and wrote on all the blocks. The pen's packaging assured me that they're bleed-free, but just in case, I still ironed all the blocks, hoping the heat would set the ink. So here's my questions:

Are they really bleed-free?
Do I need to do anything else to the blocks to help set the ink?
Is it safe to use quilt soap on this quilt or even detergent?
What information should I include on a care instruction card, delivered with the quilt?

Thanks so much!

QuiltE 07-28-2012 11:52 AM

I think we've seen enough threads on this Board that tells us there are no "guarantees"!
And when you think so, for sure, something will go wrong.

The best way to figure this out would be to do your own experiements duplicating all elements as best as possible ... fabric, treatments, batting, thread. I usually do a mug rug ... then toss it in the washer/dryer a few times and you'll soon know!

mic-pa 07-28-2012 12:31 PM

I have used those pens for many years on my quilts and I never had them bleed. Once I signed the block I ironed it to set the ink. Good Luck

nativetexan 07-28-2012 12:34 PM

I've used them for years for the many swaps I was in. and i always heat set all the siggy's I got plus the ones I made. never had a problem with the. i used the .05 size. not too skinny/scratchy but just right.

Tartan 07-28-2012 01:12 PM

As QuiltE said, you really need to try a sample piece of the fabrics and wash it. Just when you think you've got a marking method down pat something throws you a curve ball. When in doubt...test it out!!!

Ps 150 07-28-2012 03:32 PM

Sheepish confession time: I already made the blocks up, sewed them into the quilt and quilted it...before I became paranoid about bleeding. I felt/feel soo foolish! I can't believe I did all that before testing it out. I just don't know what I was thinking. I did set it with an iron, but wasn't sure if I could do anything else to it to treat it. This is what I get for rushing forth to quilt with a hurt and grieving soul. I should've stopped to gather my thoughts, but my first thoughts were on my friend and getting that quilt done ASAP. Another lesson learned, I guess.

ckcowl 07-28-2012 03:45 PM

micron pens are acid free- permenent- do not run or bleed (cause fuzzy edges) artists have been using them for years-
it is always a good idea to test what ever you are going to use to mark fabrics- and i have had quilts written on with micron pens fade a bit with time---generally ones that were written fairly light in the first place- i have gone over them with a little heavier hand (and thicker tip- they come in a fine/medium& heavier tip sizes) and they have been fine. my daughter is enjoying her 10th anniversary this year & at her reception people wrote on muslin squares with micron pens for a special wedding quilt= they wrote things, they drew pictures- they had fun with it= it has held up amazingly well for those 10 years and counting.

mary quilting 07-28-2012 04:33 PM

same here never had a problem

QuiltnLady1 07-28-2012 06:14 PM

I have used them for years, but I always wash the fabric to get the chemicals out first. I also heat set. Never a problem.