Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Some things I have learned about buying fabric . . . (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/some-things-i-have-learned-about-buying-fabric-t265998.html)

bearisgray 06-04-2015 06:49 AM

Some things I have learned about buying fabric . . .

About buying fabric -

More has been woven and printed over the past 50 years that I have been buying fabric - so it may not have been necessary to have purchased all that I did a long time ago.

Some prints seem to be available for a very short time - usually the ones I only bought a small amount of and later do not seem to be available anywhere - maybe I should have bought more of it then?

I have learned to check the grain lines while the fabric is still on the bolt - it may or may not straighten out when it is washed. The older I am getting - the more I try to avoid hassles.

If it is printed off-grain - it is printed off-grain and no amount tugging or tearing or blocking will get it on-grain.

luvstoquilt 06-04-2015 07:01 AM

I wholeheartedly agree! I have been buying fabric for years as well and before that I was standing by my DGM while she was buying fabric. I don't know about you but I love every scrap I have in my stash!

Angellight 06-04-2015 07:39 AM

Yes to all of the above, and If I LOVE!!! it I really should buy it when I find it because if I don't I will find out that other people love it as much as I do and it is no longer available...

quiltstringz 06-04-2015 08:28 AM

yes on most lines (other than what they consider basics/blenders) they only do one print run. The good news is I find that if the designer has other lines (in the future) a lot of times they will use the same or coordinating/complementary colors in their other lines. If you run short a lot of times if you can't find anything else, check out their other lines.

ManiacQuilter2 06-04-2015 01:44 PM

I AGREE with "The older I am getting - the more I try to avoid hassles."

k_jupiter 06-04-2015 02:00 PM

My issue is whole lines of fabric disappear. Robert Kaufmann had a couple of years of some of the most innovative fabric designers doing really cool fabrics for him. Now they are all gone, the fabric is all gone, and he now produces... cow chips.
Fortunately I bought a lot when I had the chance and I try and fill in with well made solids or pattern on solids. Keeps me from spending money in quilts stores :)
tim in san jose

Future Quilter 06-04-2015 03:00 PM

Sorry I just had to pop in and say LOL He said cow chips.

k_jupiter 06-04-2015 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Future Quilter (Post 7216896)
Sorry I just had to pop in and say LOL He said cow chips.

I didn't want anyone to be offended by saying a dirty word. Gosh forbid. tim in san jose

Cow chips, just like potato chips, but different.

bearisgray 06-04-2015 05:35 PM

My sister referred to a horse's offerings as "horse apples"

sewbeadit 06-04-2015 05:36 PM

So true, if it is off grain it is off grain! I don't know how many people know how important that is.