Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Some things I learned "the hard way" - (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/some-things-i-learned-hard-way-t288643.html)

Onebyone 05-31-2017 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 7834849)
How do you deal with that situation?

Discuss privately with leader, not in front of everyone.

cjsews 05-31-2017 12:06 PM

The newer better way may not be better for me. Also never put extra fabric away or use it for another project until the first one is done. That is when you need just.a smidge extra

AliKat 05-31-2017 02:31 PM

Pretty much all of the above and ...

Spray starch or Best Press before cutting for stability.
Cut largest piece first, making sure there is enough for rest of pieces.
Wet the machine needle not the thread. It goes in easier this way. Good for those with poor vision too.

GingerK 05-31-2017 02:34 PM

1. Just because the pattern was written by a 'consummate' or 'famous' quilter, does not mean that it is 100% correct or that there is not an easier way to reach the same objective
2. READ the dang directions BEFORE starting to cut. And after you've read right thru to the end, read them AGAIN!

3. SLOW DOWN!! (Yes I meant to shout.) This is not a race. This is a wonderful craft that is meant to be enjoyed and savoured. We have all had those 'gotta get a quilt produced' emergencies, BUT whoever dies with the most quilts--is still dead.

4. Flying by the seat of one's pants can be terrifying, but the result can be tremendously satisfying and very unique. Don't be afraid to take a chance. If it doesn't work, well it was a learning experience and at its worst it can be purposed into a scrap quilt at some point.

5. Seek out other quilters. There is so much to be learned and shared. Quilters are generous, gregarious and just plain nice. I wish I had taken my own advice sooner.

AVFD215 05-31-2017 02:50 PM

In addition to all you have learned, I learned to smile and laugh at the dumb stuff.

Jennifer23 05-31-2017 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by GingerK (Post 7834971)
2. READ the dang directions BEFORE starting to cut. And after you've read right thru to the end, read them AGAIN!

I would say that I learned this one the hard way, but it still hasn't sunk in yet! I keep getting hard lessons in it, though. Someday I'll figure it out... :o

NZquilter 05-31-2017 03:45 PM

When thread or pin basting, don't rush. I generally take approximately 6-8 hours to thread baste a twin quilt.

RedGarnet222 05-31-2017 04:01 PM

Never leave your fabric choices unattended held for you by the register, even if you have asked the clerk to watch it for you. Once it all got put away and I had to go and find it again and once it was taken by another customer in line. I learned that one the hard way.

Don't feel guilty about taking all of what is left on the bolt if you need it, even if someone is asking if you are taking it all. After all you were the one who found it after an hour searching.

Open a pattern and look to see how much fabric is really needed. I have had patterns say it needs to be a yard of fabric when it comes closer to only a half yard. I also read the whole pattern before hand. I have been able to change it to accommodate my skill set of sewing tricks and cutting. Know what I mean. I like the easy way.

And lastly, make sure you have gathered all of the related items and fabric you need before you start. I hate stopping once I get started because I forgot to buy something. It cuts down on my enjoyment of a project. Happened just three days ago.

AUQuilter 05-31-2017 04:01 PM

To make a copy of the pattern so I can make notes, highlight, take to the ironing board, adjust for quilt size. Especially the patterns that give the # of pieces in parentheses, separated by commas, for Baby, Throw, Full, Queen, King. Like this (14, 20, 26, 32, 46) I think Yellow Brick Road was one of those. That is to keep me on the right track. But the real reason I started copying the pattern I was working on was that "sometimes" that pattern would just wander off and hide for several weeks, months... Now the copy can do that and so what!

Dolphyngyrl 05-31-2017 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by AUQuilter (Post 7835026)
To make a copy of the pattern so I can make notes, highlight, take to the ironing board, adjust for quilt size. Especially the patterns that give the # of pieces in parentheses, separated by commas, for Baby, Throw, Full, Queen, King. Like this (14, 20, 26, 32, 46) I think Yellow Brick Road was one of those. That is to keep me on the right track. But the real reason I started copying the pattern I was working on was that "sometimes" that pattern would just wander off and hide for several weeks, months... Now the copy can do that and so what!

I like this idea a lot