Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Somebody jump start me!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/somebody-jump-start-me-t142691.html)

DogHouseMom 08-04-2011 04:03 PM

I am a reluctant starter. Not a procrastinator so much, as it is I have to make sure everything is just right before I jump into something. Picking colors/fabric for a project can take me WEEKS. I like to plan it out, then take a loooong time just thinking ... "is this exactly what I want?" I'll make sure the plan is right.

Several nights ago I finally finished basting the Palm Tree landscape quilt that I started in February. I basted it the Sharon Schamber way - taking time to get just the right boards in just the right length for the space so I could use them for not just this project, but larger projects down the road.

Now, I'm *thinking* about quilting it. First up was a decision to move my machine from the standard size sewing table to my large cutting table to help bear the weight of the quilt. Part of me wants to cut a hole in the table so I could recess my machine and make a blank for the hole when I want to turn it back into a cutting board, but I'm going to try it like this first (I've got an extension for my machine so that will help).

It took me TWO NIGHTS to look at, think about, and try WHICH CORNER it made the most sense to put my machine in. No kidding!! I had to sit in the chair in each spot in different lights of the day/night to see which was the best. I leave little to chance.

Well ... the machine is now in place. I've made several practice quilt sandwiches with the first several stitches I plan to use (I'll do the others when I progress to those areas), and the quilt is rolled to the first area I plan to quilt (the trunks of the two palm trees). But now it's at a point in the evening when I don't want to start something I can't finish, so I'm here, and soon I'll be doing something else that needs to be done (vacuum most likely). So unless something else comes up, I'll probably start it tomorrow when I get home from work.

Why can't I just jump in and do something?

If any of you put stock in any of the astrology stuff ... I'm a Libra (or at least was - didn't they change the dates recently? I was born October 18), and I was born the year of the Rat by the Chinese Calendar. Neither of these things mean much to me, but it might explain something.

craftybear 08-04-2011 04:09 PM

push, push, push

Judith1005 08-04-2011 04:11 PM

wow, shades of me. i'm a libra also. big planner. sometimes a bit of a procrastinator if i get overwhelmed with a project. i think you should just do what is right for you and what your comfortable with. :D

amma 08-04-2011 04:29 PM

I am a Gemini... so I have to sit and argue with myself sometimes before anything gets done LOL :D:D:D

debbieumphress 08-04-2011 04:42 PM

Nudge..nudge...nudge. LOL

BigDog 08-04-2011 04:44 PM

I'm a thinker. Maybe not for quite as long as you, but I plan and plan before I start. I don't see it as a problem. You'll quilt when you're durned good and ready, I guess.

It's better to plan than jump in and screw it up, then have to start over. And even with all that thinking, sometimes that happens, too.

crafty_linda_b 08-04-2011 04:46 PM

BUZZZZZZZ BUZZZZZZZZZ BUZZZZZZZZZZZ that is the sound of the cattle prod giving you a blast to get you moving...Happy Stitchin' crafty_linda_b sittin' & quiltin' on the Cal-Ore border

butterflies5518 08-04-2011 04:49 PM

I'm cancer and I retreat when unsure! move it move it move it!

DogHouseMom 08-04-2011 04:54 PM

>>It's better to plan than jump in and screw it up

just to be clear ... I never said I never screwed it up!!! I do plenty of that too :(

sewbelle52 08-04-2011 04:59 PM

Oh!! We are such kindred spirits!! I've always driven my mom and sister nuts. Plan, plan, plan. That's me! And I'm an aquarius!! Yes I can screw up too--rip, rip, rip!