Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   someone asked me to make a "throw"out of old clothes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/someone-asked-me-make-%22throw%22out-old-clothes-t127718.html)

Sandygirl 06-03-2011 06:40 AM

An acquaintance recently lost her "life partner" (I did not know her partner) and when she found out that I was a quilter, she asked if I would make a throw out of the old clothes. Besides time being a concern on my part...and yes I would charge for all materials to do this..(and charge for the long arm services)...what guidelines would you present to the customer??

I am brainstorming here:

Woven Shirts only. (I don't want to mix weights nor do I want to get into pants/jeans, knits)

Clothes must be clean/ washed!!

Clothes must in good condition. (I can fussy-cut around stains)

Do you suggest using a stabilizing product? (not even sure I want to put a lot of effort in this to be honest.)

I just want to make sure that I am on the right track should I decide to do this project.

What else am I missing here??? I want this to be fairly quick and effortless. Not even sure I like the idea of "clothes" for quilts but that is a personal bias.
thanks

GRANNYMO 06-03-2011 06:44 AM

If you want to do this, it could be a fun project. I have done this with grandkids outgrown clothes, and just did a simple scrappy patchwork quilt.

Annaquilts 06-03-2011 06:48 AM

I make these at times but from baby clothes. I put all of it on interfacing. I do mix a variety of weights and it seems ok.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-52466-1.htm

Second picture.

Sandygirl 06-03-2011 06:50 AM

Thanks for the replies...I am looking for "construction" insight...

Mariposa 06-03-2011 06:50 AM

Sounds like an interesting project. You can use a fusible interfacing for fabrics as needed. Use a non-woven one for puting behind t-shirts and other knits.

Sandygirl 06-03-2011 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
I make these at times but from baby clothes. I put all of it on interfacing. I do mix a variety of weights and it seems ok.

Fusible interfacing???

Annaquilts 06-03-2011 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl

Originally Posted by Annaquilts

Fusible interfacing???

Yes, it is a lot of work and hot ironing everything on. You first cut the clothes apart, then iron it onto the interfacing and then cut it down to the space. I also find it takes it is hard on my quilting tools and sewing machine.

iwillquilt 06-03-2011 06:56 AM

It sounds like you don't really want to do this to me. Do you know anyone else that quilts that you could refer her to? You can just tell her you are overloaded in life already and just can't do it.

Singerjr 06-03-2011 07:03 AM

I am helping a friend make a small quilt out of clothes that were her Mother's and have special memories. We have ironed fusible interface to all fabrics and we are also including some blocks with pictures that have been transferred to the fabric. Perhaps getting the other perSon involved in the project or teaching them how to do it would be a good idea since they have more emotional connection. My friend remembers her mother with every stitch and likes having a new skills. We kept it easy just 5 inch squares sewn together.

Buzzy Bee 06-03-2011 07:03 AM

You asked what were you missing ??? It's so strange but this wk I cut a cotton shirt that belonged to my husband who is still living,,,,and though how I will save all of his cotton shirts as he "rips or ruins them,,,so that I can make a quilt from them after he is no longer with me,,,it gave me such a warm feeling to think that I could do that and have him wrapped around me for comfort...I think what is missing is "your desire" to do this....think of the love and joy you would be giving her.....we have been married 51 yrs...