Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Somethin' for Nothin' and your Quilts for free... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/somethin-nothin-your-quilts-free-t178375.html)

Catherine Marie 02-06-2012 12:02 PM

Somethin' for Nothin' and your Quilts for free...

Oh, man, I think I really did myself a disservice. Agreed to make 2 quilts for 2 little sisters.
However, no discussion of payment (other than the cost of the materials) was mentioned.
The materials cost more than $300. It took more than 35 hours of machine and hand work.

In all fairness, I'm not going to bring up any payment above and beyond the materials.
I'm going to adopt a wait and see attitude.

But my question is: Who among you have experienced this and what happened to you?

yngldy 02-06-2012 12:27 PM

Learned not to open my big mouth!! (Sorry) It seems when I do, that it costs more in time and money than I have and I end up stressing more about it.

mighty 02-06-2012 12:28 PM

I am right now. My daughter asked me to make two baby quilts for friends of hers at work. I am almost finished with one. Did not expect her to pay me to do the work but materials would have been nice! Not a word from her about the cost and not sure I want to have upset over it, but still just not right. Money does not grow on trees.

RST 02-06-2012 12:28 PM

I think that people sometimes assume that because you like quilting, and do it as a hobby (presumably) that they need not pay you for your time and skills. They also mostly likely underestimate how much time goes into a quilt. And faced with a $300+ total for two quilts, they are likely to think that is a lot of money for two "blankets", and never once think that really, for skilled custom quilt making, they should be doubling that figure.

So, take it as a lesson learned, and in future, if you want to do a quilt for pay, talk specific numbers from the get-go, and get it all in writing. If you don't mind occasionally doing a favor for appreciative recipients, then so be it -- take pictures of your work so you can enjoy them, and think happy thoughts about two little girls who have nice new quilts. And tell them that this is a one time thing just for them, otherwise all their friends will think they are doing you a favor by giving you that same kind of "business".

RST

RST

bakermom 02-06-2012 12:44 PM

This comes up pretty regular on here and honestly it always confuses me. My family and friends all know I sew, quilt, whatever and none of them would ever expect me to provide my skills like this. nor would I expect anything like that from them.

virtualbernie 02-06-2012 12:50 PM

Before I do a quilt for anyone I explain how much fabric and batting costs nowadays. I find that people that don't sew think it's cheaper to make things than to buy it from the store and they still think that fabric is $2.00 a yard. I took my friend to the store with me and let her pick out and pay for her own fabrics and then she realized that things don't come cheap! I also let them know that I'm not a factory and making a quilt takes precious time. By the time I finish all of that, they are either glad to pay me or decide that they really didn't want anything so expensive after all. That saves a lot of hard feelings for me in the end.

nhweaver 02-06-2012 12:55 PM

This reminds me when my dad and mom owned a trendy nightclub years ago. Everyone (including me and my brother/sister) always paid the cover charge and for the drinks and food. It was understood that this was the way everyone did it. When I am asked to sew a quilt for somebody as a gift that they will be giving. We set up an excursion to the LQS to pick out the fabric for the pattern they like, or I give them a list of fabric requirements and ask that they pick out what they love for the gift. Usually when they realize how expensive the fabric costs - their desire to have me make a quilt lessens. Non quilters have no idea the love, time, and $$ go into a quilt. I brought in a quilt kit to show a woman at work what I will be making for my first dgd college graduation - and her remark was "You can buy 4 quilts at macy's for that much money!!! Why make it!!!

Tartan 02-06-2012 01:02 PM

Oh dear, we tend to do it to ourselves don't we? Chalk it up to lesson learned and move on. I think some people still think that quilts are made from leftover fabric from sewing projects or clothes like in the "old days" or something. Usually a trip to the fabric store can open their eyes. If they don't run away screaming, they really want a quilt and are willing to pay.

fixfido 02-06-2012 01:02 PM

I recently had listed some quilts of mine for sale on Craigslist. They were all lap sized quilts that I pieced and machine quilted (in quite a lot of detail, if I do say so myself). One person e-mailed me to say she was interested in the quilts and asked for the price, I told her $85. She said that was "way more than she expected". I really wondered what on Earth she did expect to pay for a handmade lap quilt.....$20? People who don't quilt really have absolutely no clue how much the materials alone cost, nevermind the time and effort involved.

nancylee 02-06-2012 01:41 PM

When we continually sell things in this country made in China, at slave labor costs, they don't get why things cost so "much." I had a woman I know from Facebook, she asked me to make her a quilt from some fabrics I had posted. I sent her the links to buy them, and haven't heard from her about it since. :)
Nancy