Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Something I just learned (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/something-i-just-learned-t2822.html)

Suz 10-20-2007 01:42 PM

I mail order a roll (40 yds) of batting which arrived much thicker than I'd hoped. I didn't see a sample first. After struggling with it for several weeks, I remembered that when I press the binding to the outside, the batting along the side of the quilt compressed and stayed that way until washed. This compressed area was about the width of my iron.

Well, guess what?!? TaDa!!!!!!! I compressed the entire quilt top and the machine quilting went great. The scrim caused the backing and top to stay in place, although I also pin basted. The scrim seemed to act like a light-weight bonder. -- The Quilts of Valor must be laundered before mailing, so the bounce came back. So, if you have more loft than you can deal when puffed up, try the compression "thingy"

Just thought you'd like to know. :wink:

Suzanne

Shadow Dancer 10-20-2007 02:29 PM

Good tip to keep in mind, thanks for sharing Suz. :) I tend to stay away from batting that has more loft than I can work with when quilting, will have to try this trick on my next project. :)

lin 10-20-2007 03:26 PM

Thanks Suz! I did know that you can compress the batting with an iron because I did that with one my sister made recently, but I didn't know it would regain it's density when washed, as she is still working on her embellishments and hasn't bound and washed it yet. That is so good to know.

Trial and error. We learn so much that way! Thanks again. :D

amma 10-20-2007 05:29 PM

Great Tip! Does this only work with cotton batting, or with cotton/poly and 100% polyester, too?

Suz 10-21-2007 03:40 AM

Amma,

I forgot to mention that the batting I used was 100% poly. I will try it with a blend and let you know how I make out. If anyone else tries a blend and it compresses, please let us know.

Suzanne

kathy 10-21-2007 05:08 AM

I wonder if you iron the whole sandwich, then quilt does it make your stitches tighter after it's washed? I'm going to have to try this, I love the look of a high loft batt it's so hard to work with and mine always looks baggy. If you can flatten it and it sews like a low loft then puffs back up when it's washed I'll bet it would be perfect. Thanks so much for figureing that out for us.

kathy 10-21-2007 05:12 AM

Admin. could we have a TIPS section? You know we can't remember them all and sometimes we know we heard a real good but just can't remember what it was about (at least I'm that way). If we had a section we could scroll through and see things like "thread tricks" or "how to handle batting" it would be easier than SEARCH because that brings up every topic with that word not just the tips.

All in favor say TIPS!

jessiesmom 10-21-2007 05:28 AM

I like the idea of a tips section, Kathy. I am in favor.

Mary

lin 10-21-2007 05:55 AM

That's a great suggestion kathy. I'd love to have them all placed in their own forum.

Diamonds 10-21-2007 07:41 AM

I would love a TIPS section... :lol: