Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Something I noticed ...Bobbin (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/something-i-noticed-bobbin-t300528.html)

Watson 10-28-2018 07:15 AM

Something I noticed ...Bobbin

2 Attachment(s)
This an M Class bobbin, but not sure it makes a difference.

I'm having trouble with tension lately. I can't seem to get it to stay equal. Usually I've got front thread on the back regardless of how I adjust the top tension, even when the bobbin tension says it is correct.

I've noticed something on my bobbin. When I load my bobbin into the casing, I always make sure the thread is around the little hook. First picture. [ATTACH=CONFIG]603148[/ATTACH] And that is what I tension my bobbin for, using Jamie Wallen's technique.

If I take my bobbin out halfway for whatever reason, I notice the thread is no longer around the hook but has slipped down as in the second picture, and that gives me a whole different tension. [ATTACH=CONFIG]603149[/ATTACH]

So, which one is right? Is there something wrong with my bobbin case? Or do I just adjust my tension right off the bat for the thread having slipped down out of the hook? Is there a way to fix the hook?

Thanks, Watson

Macybaby 10-28-2018 07:20 AM

I've always pulled my thread past the hook. I do that for every single machine I have with that type of bobbin case and always have. I'm sure all my directions for assorted machines show doing it that way. After all, that is where the tension is applied, if you don't slip it past the hook it may pop out and then you'll have no tension. I've had that happen a time or two with the LA.

cashs_mom 10-28-2018 08:01 AM

I agree with Cathy. I've always pulled my bobbin thread thru the hook on that type of bobbin case. Could there be something wrong with your bobbin casing?

Watson 10-28-2018 09:21 AM

I pulled it all the way past the hook thingy, set the tension a la Jamie Wallen and I've got perfect tension.

Watson

Onebyone 10-28-2018 09:33 AM

When you take it out that is when the thread slips out of the hook. Problems happen when you put it back in and not check to see if the thread is back in the hook.

Peckish 10-28-2018 09:59 AM

When that happens to me, it's usually because I have inserted the bobbin backwards. :o

Macybaby 10-28-2018 04:52 PM

I was having uneven tension problems and after I bought the towa gauge, I discovered that the five bobbins that came with my HQ did not turn evenly in the bobbin case. When I pulled, the tension would bounce around about 50 points. Once I stopped using them, that uneven tension problem went away.

BTW - the bobbins I got with the machine were very different than what HQ is selling now. They were quite a bit thicker and heavier.

illinois 10-29-2018 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 8151037)
When that happens to me, it's usually because I have inserted the bobbin backwards. :o

That is my suggestion, too. Yes, the thread should be "caught" on that hook but try turning the bobbin over. It may be threading backward as you sew.

lindaschipper 10-29-2018 02:36 AM

In all my domestic machines I pull the thread as in your second picture.

sewnclog 10-29-2018 06:17 AM

My sister has had issues; the shop told her that even if you drop the case on carpeting it can be bent - just enough to mess up the tension. So if you've dropped it and have even carpet - I'd think tile and hard wood floors would be even worse for it then it might not be quite 'round', so might need to be replaced. I'm not sure there is a way to make them perfectly round again.