Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Something for women to make on a church retreat (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/something-women-make-church-retreat-t198577.html)

carolstickelmaier 08-26-2012 08:24 AM

Our local St Jude asks for pillow cases for the pillows and also to cover the IV meds infusing in the patients. Some the kids really have a hard time and if they have something to look at besides the meds they handle the treatment better.
Remember to sew the one way fabrics on the pillowcase so that they are not upside down when over the IV pole.

Originally Posted by Deborahlees (Post 5469041)
I love the idea of pillowcases, and then they could be donated to a local Childrens Cancer Hospital.....what better use of their time could their be

Nell Dwyer 08-26-2012 09:19 AM

Yes-the woman who had her potato bags-must have used the wrong batting-have had mine 2 years-use it a lot, and no fires-that is what you get when you use the right materials-and I think the ladies from the church would love to make them also

Jothesewer 08-26-2012 09:37 AM

Hanging hand towel. Trace your iron and add one inch around pattern, cut 2 pieces of fabric, sew around both sides and leave the bottom open, cut a dish towel in half and gather half of the dish towel to fit the opening and sew bottom closed.

Small credit card folder. Cut two pieces of fabric about 12" long and length of credit card plus 1-1/2" wide. Right sides together with light batting on top, sew around leaving opening to turn. Turn, fold each end to inside so it will fit a credit card, top stitch around. Insert credit cards, fold in half and stick in your pocket to shop.
Jothesewer

irishrose 08-26-2012 09:44 AM

The guild member who made my potato bag did everything just right and it went up in flames on the first use.

I like casserole carriers. I'm sure the round one could be done in that time frame. If you are interested, I can look up the tutorial that I printed out for my church group. If they want to work together in small groups - one cutter, one person at the machine, one presser, etc, it would go quickly. Three people can make three faster than one can make one.

May in Jersey 08-26-2012 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by susiequilt (Post 5465777)
Pillowcases

Always a good idea. Why not have each make 2 pillowcases, one for themselves and another to be donated to local hospital children's center, assisted living, etc.

LAQUITA 08-26-2012 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by KSellers (Post 5466375)
At our women's retreat last year we made the fleece tie blankets to donate to the homeless -- 3 or 4 ladies sit around a table and tie the blankets and get to visit with one another in the process. We had a great time, and it was nice to know we were doing something for someone in need.

I was thinking abouth this same idea. They could also be made for Christmas presents for the shut ins. Or just Christmas presents for your own family. The 'fellowship' is the same.

gramquilter2 08-26-2012 10:21 AM

Mug-rugs are fast and you can do so many things to make them yours

For the potato bakers use the potato baker batting and cotton thread and fabric-

fayzer 08-26-2012 10:26 AM

Pillow cases are so much fun to make using the birthing method.

Rose Bagwell 08-26-2012 02:37 PM

10 minute table runner .

FroggyinTexas 08-26-2012 06:40 PM

If you have access to sergers, it takes three seams to make a great pillowcase--six if you make a pair. And they are quick, quick, quick. That's what I would do. froggyintexas

Originally Posted by lbitten (Post 5465771)
Our women's retreat is coming soon at our church. I've been asked to provide something for women who have never sewn to make in 2-3 hrs. In the past we've made rice filled hot dish holders (very nice), bags (took too long) and wreaths sewn on embroidery hoops (also nice). I was thinking of microwave potato baker bags however, just read the post from someone who had hers catch fire in the microwave so that's out. Does anyone have some ideas? Thanks!