Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sometimes it's good to remember that something is unfinished! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sometimes-its-good-remember-something-unfinished-t134293.html)

SparkMonkey 06-30-2011 01:30 PM

I've been working on my surprise anniversary quilt for Boyfriend (mentioned here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-130358-1.htm) and it's been coming together nicely. It's looking like I won't get it done before August 5, but I'll definitely be deep into the quilting stage at that point, so I'll be able to show it to him and he'll know what it's going to look like (he doesn't have a lot of "vision" when it comes to fabric and quilt designs).

Anyway, I'm doing a modified-layout D9P for the central part, just big enough to cover the top of the bed, and I was honestly really disappointed with how it was looking. I've got five prints and two solids, and I wasn't thrilled with the way the two solids--light blue and olive green--played together. The colors look nice together, but I kept thinking the contrast was just a little too much for them to settle down and behave among the prints. I was starting to fear that it would just look like a big old mess when I was done, and I was seriously doubting my design ability, which I'd thought was not bad before.

But then I put the first borders on--a narrow brown one against the D9P section, then a medium-width light blue one--and like magic, it was exactly as I'd imagined it. All of a sudden it looked calmer, more grounded, and I could actually see the motion of the blocks across the top. Success!!! Now I'm looking forward to getting the next section of border on. I had been slowing down because of my fear, but it'll be full steam ahead tomorrow. :)

Just goes to show that so often in quilting, the whole is much, much greater than the sum of the parts. :)

Blue's quilting mama 06-30-2011 01:35 PM

Yes, it is amazing how much adding the borders does to make a quilt look pretty.
When I made the blue rose quilt, it worked that way, too. The middle was awfully busy, but by the time the three borders were on, it is lovely!

PaperPrincess 06-30-2011 06:45 PM

My mom's favorite saying was "There's nothing more discouraging than a half finished garment." I have ammended that to a half finished quilt!

AbbyQuilts 06-30-2011 07:14 PM

I am doing a anniversary quilt for my husband. It is our 10 year this Aug 4th. I was supposed to be doing 2-3 blocks a day everyday this past month..... well I have 17 blocks compleated out of like 200+ lol So I have to really get busy on it. My husband has seen bits and pieces of it but he has not asked and I have not offered. I have my own room so he is up there rarely. Just want to say congrats on 2 year and hope you get it done in time.

Are you machine quilting or hand quilting?

SparkMonkey 07-01-2011 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
I am doing a anniversary quilt for my husband. It is our 10 year this Aug 4th. I was supposed to be doing 2-3 blocks a day everyday this past month..... well I have 17 blocks compleated out of like 200+ lol So I have to really get busy on it. My husband has seen bits and pieces of it but he has not asked and I have not offered. I have my own room so he is up there rarely. Just want to say congrats on 2 year and hope you get it done in time.

Are you machine quilting or hand quilting?

I'm hand-quilting, but I don't work in the summers. I can get a whole lot done in a day while he's at work (and even a bit on Sunday mornings, while he's out running). I think he's starting to get suspicious that I'm hiding something, though... usually he asks what I worked on when he gets home each day, but he hasn't said anything about it in several days. I'm all prepared to tell him I "organized my yarn stash," or I'm "taking a break from crafts to re-read Harry Potter," but so far I haven't gotten to use any of my water-tight excuses! :P

ETA: Oh and congrats to you too, on your 10-year! I hope you can find your fire to get more blocks done. :)

sandyo 07-01-2011 04:34 AM

yes it is amazing how much they change

QuiltE 07-01-2011 06:44 AM

You've worked fast since you were thinking about it. Oh please do show us a picture of your WIP!

If you are thinking he is suspicious, is it a sign you are cleaning thngs up more than normal for him to wonder why the neat-freak? Maybe he's keeping an eye on the scrap bin or garbage and it's emptyness seems odd?

Leave those Harry Potter books lying around, as you'd normally leave a book between reads. Just make sure you change the page marker, and read a page or two at that point each time, so you can say to him, oh I was reading the part about, do you remember that? :)

And be careful of his run times .... in case he returns early!

Maybe do some Mug Rugs, to have in stages and leave out as decoys?

And remember ... some pics for us to ogle on!

SparkMonkey 07-01-2011 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
You've worked fast since you were thinking about it. Oh please do show us a picture of your WIP!

If you are thinking he is suspicious, is it a sign you are cleaning thngs up more than normal for him to wonder why the neat-freak? Maybe he's keeping an eye on the scrap bin or garbage and it's emptyness seems odd?

Leave those Harry Potter books lying around, as you'd normally leave a book between reads. Just make sure you change the page marker, and read a page or two at that point each time, so you can say to him, oh I was reading the part about, do you remember that? :)

And be careful of his run times .... in case he returns early!

Maybe do some Mug Rugs, to have in stages and leave out as decoys?

And remember ... some pics for us to ogle on!

I think maybe the fact that I haven't been harassing him with half-finished crafts is tipping him off. ;) I like feedback on my projects, and he's the only person I see most days, so he has to suffer the consequences. But, he also just started a new job in the last few weeks, so he could just be distracted and not noticing that I've not been waving pieces of sewing under his nose.

I did notice him eyeballing some telltale threads on my shirt earlier this week, but I made an offhand comment about cutting binding strips for a baby quilt I've got going, and I think that satisfied his curiosity.

I've got one more section of wide border and a narrow border to put on, and then I can share some pics. That'll happen Sunday morning, I think. Between running 15 miles and potty/water breaks, he should be gone for a good 2 hours at least...

It is SO HARD not to spill the beans. I tell him everything. I'm honestly afraid I'll crack sometime in the next month! I'm glad I have all y'all here to share my progress with, or I know I wouldn't make it. :)