Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sometimes You Just Say a Little Prayer.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sometimes-you-just-say-little-prayer-t289225.html)

Watson 06-25-2017 10:26 AM

Sometimes You Just Say a Little Prayer....

...and pray it works.

My friend wants a Christmas tree skirt and chose a pattern off the internet that you print off.

From the beginning I had my doubts. Looking at it, it just didn't seem like it was going to work. There seemed to be a huge opening, rather than a smooth circle. Even after sewing the pieces together, which I had to do creatively because the directions didn't make sense, it didn't look like it would work. But my friend had chosen the fabrics so I was going to make it work. I was brainstorming some ideas on how I was going to make a flap to fill in the gap at the back of the tree. She chose a paisley FMQ (gulp) for the panels and away I went, hoping all these hours weren't in vain.

Well, I just finished the quilting and cut it out and although I haven't bound it yet, I put it on an upturned bowl in place of a Christmas tree stand...and it works. Whew! No gap. Don't know why, because there sure was a gap when it was just a top, but I'm not going to question. I'll just give thanks for small miracles.

Watson

Tartan 06-25-2017 10:49 AM

​Glad it worked out! Sometimes the seam allowances make all the difference. Hope to see a picture of it when it's done.

QuiltE 06-25-2017 03:19 PM

Way to Go ... you did it! :)
............ and it's only six more months til Christmas!

It's funny how some things work out, isn't it?
... but where are the photos? :)

Jingle 06-25-2017 05:04 PM

I am glad it all worked out for you.

Watson 06-25-2017 05:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
QuiltE....Here's one I took of the quilting.....I don't have one of the whole thing. Once I get it bound and a few crystals put on, I'll take another.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]575345[/ATTACH]

Watson

osewme 06-25-2017 05:23 PM

So glad that worked for you. Your quilting is beautiful.

QuiltE 06-25-2017 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Watson (Post 7851632)
QuiltE....Here's one I took of the quilting.....I don't have one of the whole thing. Once I get it bound and a few crystals put on, I'll take another.
Watson

Thanks for showing your WIP ... some pretty nice FMQing there!
The dark ... is that a Fairy Frost?
The green ... what is the sheen to it?
I'm thinking it's not your ordinary quilting cotton ... but??

Watson 06-25-2017 08:52 PM

The dark is a purple 100% cotton that had a silver marbling in it. The other colour is actually a metallic silver stretchy material that I backed with stabilizer to make it non-stretchy so I could use it because she wanted the metallic.

Watson

jmoore 06-26-2017 02:17 AM

Yay! Glad it came out fine. I'm sure your friend is going to be delighted with it.

QuiltE 06-26-2017 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Watson (Post 7851734)
The dark is a purple 100% cotton that had a silver marbling in it. The other colour is actually a metallic silver stretchy material that I backed with stabilizer to make it non-stretchy so I could use it because she wanted the metallic.

Watson

Thanks Watson! ... it will be wonderful under the tree!

OMG .... and to think that I saw green in both, not silver!
Anyone else do the same?